Vent pipe size - Alberta

Users who are viewing this thread

DGA1

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of building a cottage in central Alberta, I am fortunate to have trades people in the family to assist with the other areas of building unfortunately I don't have access to a journeyman plumber.

I am about to begin my rough in plumbing for the sewer system which will feed into a septic tank which is already installed. Main sewer line to tank is 4" ABS will utilize 3" from toilets and likely 1 1/2" to 2" for other drains. But likely 2" as that is what has been "donated" to the cause.

My question: what is the minimum vent pipe size I can use, I had read online that I can use a 2" vent for the main vent stack and increase the size to a 3" as it passes through the Roof line. Is this within the code or do I have to use 3" for the main stack? Issue is I have a 2x4 interior wall that the main vent will pass through and would rather not replace or add 2x2 to it. But if I have to its not a big deal.

I will have two toilets, two bathroom sinks, one shower, one bath, and one laundry utilizing the vent, all are central to the main stack.

Great Forum BTW!!

Regards,

DA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know about Alberta, but in Washington they would require a 3"
We normally use
2- 2" vents
1- 1.5" vent
Which equals the area of a 3" vent.
The requirement in Canada may be different.

Rick23

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of building a cottage in central Alberta, I am fortunate to have trades people in the family to assist with the other areas of building unfortunately I don't have access to a journeyman plumber.

I am about to begin my rough in plumbing for the sewer system which will feed into a septic tank which is already installed. Main sewer line to tank is 4" ABS will utilize 3" from toilets and likely 1 1/2" to 2" for other drains. But likely 2" as that is what has been "donated" to the cause.

My question: what is the minimum vent pipe size I can use, I had read online that I can use a 2" vent for the main vent stack and increase the size to a 3" as it passes through the Roof line. Is this within the code or do I have to use 3" for the main stack? Issue is I have a 2x4 interior wall that the main vent will pass through and would rather not replace or add 2x2 to it. But if I have to its not a big deal.

I will have two toilets, two bathroom sinks, one shower, one bath, and one laundry utilizing the vent, all are central to the main stack.

Great Forum BTW!!

Regards,

DA
In Alberta every building should I have a 3 inch stack increasing one size going through the roof That would be four-inch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks