Vent pipe leaking in Cinderblock wall but not from roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Fast420A

Reaction score
A little back story. House was built in 1967. It has galvanized pipes for the kitchen sink drain and vent pipe connecting to a cast iron Y connection going into the ground. We had a leak in the wall from the sink drain where it ran to the cast iron Y fitting. Ended up getting a plumber to open the wall and replace the piping from the sink to the cast iron with PVC. Had to file with home owners insurance and got the cabinets and drywall all fixed up with them. We are finishing the tile work and moved the stove to tile behind it and I have water appearing at the base of the wall again and we had a rain storm 2 days before. I have now opened the drywall and block by the cast iron Y and have water coming down like rain when I run water into the vent from the roof. There is a small leak on the roof where the pipe goes through the roof that we are going to fix but the leak coming down inside the block is not from this. We live in FL so rainy season is getting started and we are trying to get this fixed so we can finish the kitchen tile work and be done with this project. Is my only option to pull out and replace the vent pipe which has lead/oakum sealing it and also has cement poured around it at the top block of the wall or is there another option to fix this? My grandfather threw out the idea of putting a smaller PVC pipe down in the drain pipe and securing it at the top to act as an internal sleeve so rain doesn't come down inside the block again. Would this work or be more of a band aid that would need to be fixed down the road or could it work? Anyone else run into a leaking vent pipe like this and what did you end up doing? We don't see a hole when looking down in the pipe but can only see down 1 - 2 feet inside it. Also when looking up in the block wall from the Y connection you can't see any holes in the pipe but water comes raining down when the hose is turned on inside the vent on the roof. Any suggestions or comments will help. Thanks for reading.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's too bad that the pipe is leaking.
For sure the roof flashing will need to be repaired, and at that time you also might consider a cover for the vent like what they have for a chimney.

vent_cover2.jpg

Or something like a bend that prevents rain from entering.

Fast420A

Reaction score
So does the vent pipe need to come out and be replaced completely or would the internal "PVC pipe sleeve" work as a fix for the leak if I do the 180 bend on top to keep rain out?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replacing the pipe is best. They are supposed to be air tight to prevent the smell of the sewer from entering the home.
And like you have noticed, water can seep in too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks