vent pipe freezes solid

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by becker, Feb 8, 2007.

1. becker

becker New Member

My vent pipes freeze solid ice in real cold weather. I am on a septic system. I have to go on the roof and thaw them out with a torch to keep the smell out of the house.
    What can I do to prevent this from happening? They are both 4 inch plastic pipes. Only the part above the roof freezes.
  2. student1

student1 New Member

Had same problem some years back. With only two people, the septic system didn't generate much heat. Resolved by insulataing the vent pipe in the attic with 4" fibreglass. Good luck.

Cheers
  3. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Wrap the the vent in heat tape, if it's metal.