vent locations

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by victorlevin, Jul 2, 2009.

1. victorlevin

victorlevin New Member

my cottage has a shower, toilet and two sinks emptying into a septic tank. But the cottage doesn't have any venting in the plumbing.

i want to know what the rules are for installing a vent system: one for each item or after they tie into the main drain?

thanks for the help

victor
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Well at this point anything is better then nothing!

Do you have a drawing, showing roughly how the plumbing is done. Where what fixtures are tied in etc. Doesn't have to be fancy!
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vents

The simple rule that EVERY trap requires a vent between the trap and the drain connection, and before it turns downward. BUT that could mean many vents or just one depending on how the fixtures and piping are arranged.