Vent location when it would end up in a open area of the room...

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Vent location when it would end up in a open area of the room...***piicture added****

To all and thanks in advance. Try to do my best to describe.
We are turning a bedroom into a master bath.

The shower and tub will be located next to each other on the north wall with drains running towards the south wall.

My question is as follows..

Since the drains are running under the floor of the room towards the south, is it OK to have the vents located in the north wall approx 3-4 feet from the trap in the opposite direction the drains are running?

Seems like norrmal config would be to have the vent somewhere along the drainline but for us that would end up being in the open area of the room...

I hope that makes sense with regards to the description..and if it is not OK what is a solution .. I cant be the only one who has had this issue.

Again, thanks.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you are thinking won't cut it.

A shower is often built into an alcove which provides a place to bend the drain past to provide for the vent. A WC can be done this way also. The other alternative is to loop the drain back to the north wall before turning south.

I don't know the specifics of your code, but here a 2" trap is allowed up to 8 feet before the vent & a 3", 12 feet. Depending on distances and layout, a wet vent through the lav may be feasible before these distances would come into play.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Beachfront, what you are describing is a pretty common installation where I am. I don't quite get why the traps would be so far from the north wall, though, I would have
thought 18-24 inches would be more usual. Here, trap arms (distance from trap outlet to vent takeoff) is limited to 3'6" for 1 1/2" drains and 5' for 2" drains. Keep in mind
that until they turn up in the north wall, the vents must have normal drainage slope back to the drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Since they are next to each other there should be a common wall where the vent could come up out of the drain line, or the drain line routed so that it goes under such a wall. We would have to see a drawing of your situation to give the ways the vent could be installed. But a situation like this is why WE go to school and serve apprenticeships in order to solve problems, NOT create them. You have fallen for the line, "Anyone can do plumbing as long as they can put some pipe and fittings together".

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Can you post a overhead (Birds EYE) view of this room? Show the drain locations and proposed vent and drain lines.

With 10 different plumbing crews you will get at least 40 solid ways of doing this. All 40 ways will work. If you take a little from here and a little from there you might get water and smells everywhere... :) Hey that could be a poem.

JW

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Here is an overhead view minus all the electrical, etc. Hope it makes sense..
All drain lines will tie into South wall where toilet is at. Floor joists run N and South

As mentioned, the challenge is where the vent pipes for tub and shower go due to drains heading "across the room".. lower access for drains and H20 are not a problem ...

The common tub/shower wall is only 3 ft high and the rest is glass .. I am building wet walls but they still end up on the wrong side of room for venting ..

Outer walls are all 2x4 which is why the wet walls are being built

i suppose I could to pop up to attic with the toilet room walls or the cabinate wall at the South end of the shower?

You have fallen for the line, "Anyone can do plumbing as long as they can put some pipe and fittings together".
Not sure where this came from but no reason to assume things you might not know, if you are saying I am going to attempt the plumbing you are nuts.... A plumber will do the work but I am building the walls, etc. and need to figure out where they end up before submitting to the city.

Thanks again for any advice.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Well I did download the pole dancing iphone app Redwood, but pic's will cost you... :p ..

but back to the question .. vent pipes? thoughts, etc..

Thanks again.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What is BELOW the bathroom?
I might be looking to vent up the wall of that nook south of the shower.
OR make a 16" wide solid wall at the south end of your glass partition.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks