Vent information Please ! Help Out an Old Airborne Army Guy

Users who are viewing this thread

Retired82ndAirborne

Reaction score
I have read previous posts on your site that give me a partial answer regarding my stubbed out basement, but I want to ensure I am clear about a few things that are not clearly spelled out (at least to a novice like myself).

So from past posts I can safely assume that the pipe I have labeled "B" is the vent pipe, that pipe "A" is the drain for the shower/tub, and pipe "C" is for the toilet. Pipe A and C protrude about five inches above the basement floor, and pipe B protrudes about three feet above the floor and is in the middle of one of the stud cavities.

First question is related to pipe B; if that is the vent pipe do I need to extend it towards the ceiling and through the exterior wall or leave it as is (capped).

Second question might affect the answer to the first; I want to put in a sink which I have identified with dotted lines. Can I tie into pipe B to use it as a drain as well as a vent pipe. If do that, will I need to use a studor vent for the sink or will the vent pipe vent all 3 fixtures properly?

Wood.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Please Edit your title to summarize the problem you are having, this will invite more accurate help from those with experience of your actual situation.

"Old Airborne Army Guy" or a DIY student, doesn't matter as everyone does their best to give input.

Retired82ndAirborne

Reaction score
Please Edit your title to summarize the problem you are having, this will invite more accurate help from those with experience of your actual situation.

"Old Airborne Army Guy" or a DIY student, doesn't matter as everyone does their best to give input.
Right...thats why it says vent information because that is what I need...vent information. Thanks for the helpful post.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pipe B is most likely the vent for the bathroom, which would also double as a lav drain.
The lav trap needs to be within 42" of a vent. One vent will serve the bathroom. A Studor (AAV) will vent the bathroom, or you can run the vent outside through the roof. The portion of the pipe that doubles as a lav drain should be 2" or can be larger.
If you have a 3" in the wall, then it's an ideal location for a cleanout.

Retired82ndAirborne

Reaction score
Pipe B is most likely the vent for the bathroom, which would also double as a lav drain.
The lav trap needs to be within 42" of a vent. One vent will serve the bathroom. A Studor (AAV) will vent the bathroom, or you can run the vent outside through the roof. The portion of the pipe that doubles as a lav drain should be 2" or can be larger.
If you have a 3" in the wall, then it's an ideal location for a cleanout.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Terry !

Retired82ndAirborne

Reaction score
I have read previous posts on your site that give me a partial answer regarding my stubbed out basement, but I want to ensure I am clear about a few things that are not clearly spelled out (at least to a novice like myself).

So from past posts I can safely assume that the pipe I have labeled "B" is the vent pipe, that pipe "A" is the drain for the shower/tub, and pipe "C" is for the toilet. Pipe A and C protrude about five inches above the basement floor, and pipe B protrudes about three feet above the floor and is in the middle of one of the stud cavities.

First question is related to pipe B; if that is the vent pipe do I need to extend it towards the ceiling and through the exterior wall or leave it as is (capped).

Second question might affect the answer to the first; I want to put in a sink which I have identified with dotted lines. Can I tie into pipe B to use it as a drain as well as a vent pipe. If do that, will I need to use a studor vent for the sink or will the vent pipe vent all 3 fixtures properly?

View attachment 32383
However, in many areas if a vent is for a toilet, regardless of whether it is a wet vent or not, it has to be 2" all the way to the exterior or where it connects to a main vent system.

Thanks HJ, yeah my plan is to extend the current 2" vent pipe (with 2" pipe) vertically towards the ceiling of the bathroom then horizontal (with some rise) to an exterior wall where it will be 3' above a garage door that is installed on an exterior wall of my basement. It will also be more than 10' horizontally from any window, opening, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks