Vent exit horizontally through gable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Im doing a bath remodel (full gut) in an 80 y/o 2 story house. Bath was added at some point in the past, and none of the drains were vented. House has a 12/12 pitch slate roof. Can i run a vent out horizontally through the gable wall, up as high as i can get it?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Well, i could put a 90 on it and terminate it vertically, or i was hoping there may be a cover available similar to the ones the HE furnaces use.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most places, the vent must extend above the roof...just running it up vertically some probably won't cut it with the local inspector. The outlet can be smelly, and if it isn't high enough, won't be dispersed properly, and you may start to smell things if you have windows open. Because the vent should be installed with slope, just like a drain line, if any precipitation gets in there, it will drain and still stay open.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks