Vent Design Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello,
This is a third floor (previously unused). The 4" dw vent pipe runs straight up through the space and through the roof. I would like to place a bathroom 15 ft away from it, and a kitchen 20 feet away. There is room in the rafters to bring the new vent over to the existing vertical vent, once I bring the vents vertically into the rafter space. I am wondering if this is too much distance to the existing vent?

Thanks in Advance,
Bill

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Distance to vent is not a problem but if you are planning on using the existing vertical stack for waste you probably can not because it is being used as a dry vent for fixtures below. You will need to run another waste pipe from the third floor, probably all the way to the basement and tie in to the horizontal down there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, once a pipe is used as a drain, it cannot also be a vent...the same pipe can be a vent above those it drains, but not the other way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Basically, once a pipe is used as a drain, it cannot also be a vent...

Or, rather, once a pipe is used as a vent, it cannot be converted to a drain, unless other steps are taken to restore the vent function. when we used to do it, we would tap into the "vent loop" on the lower floor and run a new secondary vent, so the main riser was then available for use as a drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks