Vent around a new, larger kitchen window

Users who are viewing this thread

rmeronemo

Reaction score
All -
Looking for some direction. I have a small kitchen window above the sink. The vent pipe comes straight up, turns left for about 24", and up and out the roof. Pipe is copper. The new window will require the pipe to go left 48". I'd like to go up the side of the new window, then right, back to the existing pipe and not have to put a new hole in the roof. Can I do that? What can I use for material instead of copper? Can I go copper to something else and then back to copper? Thanks a lot.
- Ralph

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'd like to go up the side of the new window, then right, back to the existing pipe

You can do that.
ABS or PVC can be used. Mission makes a copper by plastic coupling for that.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can do what you describe. PVC or ABS will work just fine to make the extension. To connect the PVC/ABS to the copper, use couplers that are designed for the two materials being connected. PVC and ABS have slightly different diameters as does copper, so you need to specify your choice of material as well as the sizing. I would suggest you go to a "real" plumbing supply house for these fittings. You do want to be sure you have a slope back to the drain being vents so rain/snow water can not collect in the L. In other words, vent always have to have at least some slope up toward the roof.

Just do what Terry said. LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks