Vent around a new, larger kitchen window

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rmeronemo, Oct 15, 2013.

1. rmeronemo

rmeronemo New Member

All -
    Looking for some direction. I have a small kitchen window above the sink. The vent pipe comes straight up, turns left for about 24", and up and out the roof. Pipe is copper. The new window will require the pipe to go left 48". I'd like to go up the side of the new window, then right, back to the existing pipe and not have to put a new hole in the roof. Can I do that? What can I use for material instead of copper? Can I go copper to something else and then back to copper? Thanks a lot.
    - Ralph
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can do that.
    ABS or PVC can be used. Mission makes a copper by plastic coupling for that.

[​IMG]
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You can do what you describe. PVC or ABS will work just fine to make the extension. To connect the PVC/ABS to the copper, use couplers that are designed for the two materials being connected. PVC and ABS have slightly different diameters as does copper, so you need to specify your choice of material as well as the sizing. I would suggest you go to a "real" plumbing supply house for these fittings. You do want to be sure you have a slope back to the drain being vents so rain/snow water can not collect in the L. In other words, vent always have to have at least some slope up toward the roof.

Just do what Terry said. LOL
  4. rmeronemo

rmeronemo New Member

Thanks a lot, Gary & Terry.

- Ralph