Varying water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

walt_pittsburgh

DIY Retired Member
Reaction score
I find that every few months I have to adjust the main pressure valve in our house to bring up the water pressure. I try to keep it between 50 and 60psi. This is fine for my wife and me. It is just 2 of us in the house. Every few months I will notice a loss of pressure. A test will reveal it is down around 40psi and below.

We have a newer home that is at the end of the water supply line in the street. Can I expect the pressure in our home to vary if the pressure from the public water source varies? I have gotten different opinions on this. I don't know how the pressure in our home would not drop if the PWS pressure does. I don't know if I need to install a new valve or expect these fluctations due to the public water source.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you can raise the pressure by adjusting the valve, then the valve is defective. It should ALWAYS have the same outlet pressure, regardless of the city's pressure, as long as the incoming pressure is higher than its setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks