Various Heights of Todays Toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
I am replacing a 35 year old Kohler Wellworth toilet that is 14 1/2 inches from the floor to the top of the toilet bowl (i.e. no seat).

So I was wondering, for today's toilets....if you measure form the floor to the top of the toliet bowl (without the seat on)...what are the various hights for:

1) So-called "standard" height toilet = ?

2) ADA height toilet = ?

3) ...and I think there is another called Comfort height toilet =

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Standard height is 15" +/-. ADA is 17" +/-. Comfort height is usually the same as ADA but called for people who are not handicapped, or elderly, but want that height.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you are short, a taller toilet will end up being a blessing as you get older. Check and compare the height of a comfortable kitchen or dining room chair. Check how high you can go and not put pressure on your leg and still keep your feet flat on the floor. FWIW, my doctor tells me if you can't do your thing in 3-minutes or less, eat more fiber and drink more fluids! It's not great sitting there longer! So, sitting down on the thing and being able to get up easily is more important than treating it as a long-term seating option!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to tag on Jim's post, anytime you sit or squat and you butt is lower than your knees, it takes more effort to stand. You don't need a toilet to prove this for yourself, just hunker down and then stand up. When you're young, it doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but as you age and your knees no longer have the strength of youth, it becomes more and more apparent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks