Variable time float switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would be afraid that particals would build up on the inside of that cage where the float is located and cause it not to work. I guess it depends on what you are pumping how long that would take.

Reach4

Reaction score
I used a sump pump controller that worked similarly to that USC3. It did not have the fancy probe, but it accepted 2 wires that could be positioned to sense the rising water. When the water contacted the bare tip of the wire (just taped in place in my case), the pump would turn on for a setable time. It worked well for years, and is probably still working. It had 2 outlets. One was for the pump, and the other one went unused. It was controlled by the second wire, and I think it was for an alarm to go off if the water rose to that second probe.

I forget the brand. I bought it at HD. I remember looking later, and they no longer carried it. Maybe there were failures. Maybe something else.

Anyway, that would avoid the float getting stuck worry. That does not mean that there could not be other potential failures.

Edit: Yow... I just saw the price they charge for the USC3. The control I bought was a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot imagine WHY you would want to 'adjust the pump run time", since it should start when the water rises and shutoff when the water level drops REGARDLESS of how long it takes. And running a pump weekly, or monthly, if there was no water in the receiver would just damage the pump or air lock it, so it would NOT function the next time the water level rose.

Reaction score
I cannot imagine WHY you would want to 'adjust the pump run time", since it should start when the water rises and shutoff when the water level drops REGARDLESS of how long it takes. And running a pump weekly, or monthly, if there was no water in the receiver would just damage the pump or air lock it, so it would NOT function the next time the water level rose.

WHY.... I want to adjust the runtimes to increase the cycle length to fully empty the sump pit. The vertical master float switch only has a 6 inch pumping depth. I would like to adjust it so that I could get about 12 inches of pumping depth.

Agreed, running the pump without water would probably be damaging. However, I thought there is a vent hole in the discharge to prevent airlock as well as preventing the pump from running dry.

Reaction score

Reaction score
Seem to have found the best of both worlds.....vertical master type float with adjustable run time from 5-45s. Although it is 4x what I paid for the Vertical Master I just installed. At least I know for the future when replacing the vertical master.

http://pumpbiz.com/enhanced-float-controller-vsc15-pump-switch-controller edit_ the price dropped to $78 after I contacted them about a price match at $73

Although, here it is $40 cheaper....

http://www.basementdepot.com/product/VSC1.5

Here it is even cheaper......

https://www.e-barnett.com/Sku/3553972

Last edited:

Reaction score
My OCD nature caused me to purchase this product.

I found the float switch is a Vertical Master made by SJE. So, I will see if the time adjustment option gives me the emptying I am looking for.

Was able to find the product for $56 out the door including free shipping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks