Vanity tie in

Users who are viewing this thread

M3

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a bathroom which had a single sink, and I'm going to a double. Problem is I cannot run the drain over from the second sink to the existing trap because of drawers in the vanity. I also cannot go in the wall and over because of other pipes.

I can tie into the bathroom vent above, creating a wet vent, and run that down to the basement; then connecting into the main waste stack. The drop from the p-trap to where it ends in the photo is about 9 feet (its a multi-level home).

If I can do this, is it best to use a wye or tee into the main? I was going to position the tee/wye on the main stack pointing up, then run over to the new drain/vent using 45's. I also have two places where I can connect to the main (is there a better place?). Below is a photo; thank you for your advice.
Drain II.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Wet venting is done with bathroom fixtures only.
Kitchen sinks, washers, dishwashers, laundry trays are excluded.
Wet venting is for fixtures on the "same" floor.

What do you mean my nine feet?

Tying into the main waste stack can be:
Horizontal: Wye or combo
Vertical: Santedd, Wye or Combo

Venting for a trap arm:
Horizontal: wye fitting
Vertical: Santee

M3

Reaction score
Wet venting is done with bathroom fixtures only.
Kitchen sinks, washers, dishwashers, laundry trays are excluded.
Wet venting is for fixtures on the "same" floor.

What do you mean my nine feet?

Tying into the main waste stack can be:
Horizontal: Wye or combo
Vertical: Santedd, Wye or Combo

Venting for a trap arm:
Horizontal: wye fitting
Vertical: Santee

Thank you for the reply, but I'm a little confused about "same floor" comment.

What I meant is the drop from the new bathroom sink trap (Santee) which is on the 2nd floor, down to the main waste stack in the basement is about 9 feet. At that point I'd add a 45 and go over to the main stack which is about 3' away. I just thought there might be a maximum drop allowed on that...?

Provided the 9' drop is ok, it sounds like it can be done. Is there a preference on attaching to the horizontal or vertical area of the main stack?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As long as the 2nd p-trap is vented within 42" on the second floor, you can drop below that as far as you like.
The two places you point to are considered vertical. 45 degrees is considered vertical in plumbing. Use a wye fitting.

M3

Reaction score
As long as the 2nd p-trap is vented within 42" on the second floor, you can drop below that as far as you like.
The two places you point to are considered vertical. 45 degrees is considered vertical in plumbing. Use a wye fitting.

Thanks again Terry. I've gotten great advice from this forum over the recent years...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks