Vanity Backsplash

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by jerome8283, Dec 4, 2006.

1. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

I purchased my marble vanity top without a backsplash and now I'm thinking I should purchased it with it. The vanity sits in a corner where the wall is a little uneven. I'm guessing the backsplash would cover the wall imperfections? Is there anything I can do without the backsplash?

I went without the backsplash because there will be a vessel style bowl and very little or no water splash.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I would recommend a backsplash. It will hide any imperfections in the fit between the vanity and the wall and just adds a finished look. You can use a 1x5 or 1x6 piece of solid Oak or other nice wood to will match your decor. Route an ogee or other nice edge on the top and sides. A piece of 1/4" quarter round attached with caulking will finish the edge across the bottom.
  3. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Great Idea! The vanity was custom built and will be stained shortly. I could do an Oak backsplash to match the vanity. This will work well. Thanks!
  4. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Gary, does it matter whether the backsplash is installed behind the countertop or on top? Usually there on top right?
  5. chassis

chassis Engineer

On top of the countertop is the way to do it.
  6. or plaster

FWIW, since i noticed you said there won't back a splash problem, consider just letting someone who is good with a big trowel make a smooth-finish plastered wall that you paint. Even drywall compound can be used. It takes a big trowel, and a certain amount of ability.

The advantage is that your eyes are now focused on the big beautiful thing you bought, the marble top. Instead of adding more visual stimuli around it. Less is better, to highlight the beauty of the beautiful things. The right paint can enhance its colors.

I would plaster the wall right to the marble. but then again, i haven't seen your vanity and the rest of the room.

david
  7. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Thanks guys. I finished the custom vanity install but haven't permanently installed the backsplash yet. I have pics that I will forward later so you all can let me know what you think. Thanks again!
  8. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Here are some pics. As I said, the backsplash is not secured yet. I just have it laying there until I decide what I'm gonna do.

Attached Files:

9. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Just my opinion.... ditch the backsplash...unless you've really got a bad gap problem. Maybe even use a simple trim painted same color as wall.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

counter

Stained? It looks like common plywood, so you must be going to do more than just stain it.
  11. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

It's a piece of trim that I stained the same color as the stained vanity. I do not plan to do more.
  12. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

I like the vanity look but lose the backspalsh...
    Looks nice - just have the wall re-floated to be smooth...
  13. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

Definitely would look simpler and more elegant without the trim/backsplash. It breaks up the visual aspect... lots of times, in decorating and design...less is better!
  14. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Thanks guys. I will post pics of the vanity without the backsplash.There is a gap but perhaps it's not that bad.
  15. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

In the end you will make your own decision. Either way, it's going to look nice.
  16. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Your right Randy. I'm just looking for opinions to support my thoughts. I have come to the conclusion that I will use a piece of quarter round painted the same color as the wall.

Here are pics of the gaps as well as the rest of the renovated guest bathroom.

Attached Files:

17. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Here are before pics..

Attached Files:

18. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I REALLY like the glass shower.... got any info on it? Parts, materials, "How To"?

As for those gaps... I think I'd just use a very good paintable caulk or as someone else mentioned, build up the wall with drywall mud. They're big but not so big that they couldn't be worked with. Another possibilty is just the opposite...dig out/cut out the dry wall so the cabinet top will fit at the outside corners....then use a little caulk to make it pretty.
  19. jerome8283

jerome8283 New Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007