Vandalized well on fixer upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
From those ohm readings I am guessing a 3/4 HP. But if you purchase a 3/4 control box and it pulls more than 7 amps, your screwed. It is very rare for a cap run control box to be on anything smaller than a 1.5 HP. 1.5 HP is going to pull 11.9 amps.

There is a Schrader valve on the top of that tank somewhere. One of those plastic things comes off.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So I took ohms messurement on the pump. It took quite awhile for the meter to settle down on all the readings. Is that normal? Anyway, here they are.

red/yellow 13.6
red/black 15.8
black/yellow 5.

I checked them all to ground and there was no reading.

So what do you guys think?

That is close to what a 1/2 or 3/4 HP would read.

Hard to tell for sure because your readings do not add up.

Red/Black should be 18.6 ohms if your other two readings are correct.

Good Luck

DonL

Reaction score
From those ohm readings I am guessing a 3/4 HP. But if you purchase a 3/4 control box and it pulls more than 7 amps, your screwed. It is very rare for a cap run control box to be on anything smaller than a 1.5 HP. 1.5 HP is going to pull 11.9 amps.

I agree, Sounds a bit strange.

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Well I guess I could get the start cap tested. I tested it with a digital meter and it just read OL. Likely need an anolog to see if its OK although I know thats not going to tell me the micro farad rating but it would tell me if it can be tested. Took it to radio shack and they laughed. They can only test little mini caps.

What would happen if I was oversized on the box? i.e. 3/4 hp pump with a 1 hp box. Would the larger caps eventually destroy the motor?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got news for you Don, new Square D pressure switches are just as bad as any of the others and they cost more to boot.

I doubt an over sized box will hurt the motor, I have used them when I didn't have the right box on the truck with no problems.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Got news for you Don, new Square D pressure switches are just as bad as any of the others and they cost more to boot.

Yeah the little plastic part that holds the points is no where near as good as the old fiber board was on those Square D switches.

I doubt an over sized box will hurt the motor, I have used them when I didn't have the right box on the truck with no problems.

Yeah since overloads are in the motor there should not be any problem. I've used larger boxes many times as well with no problems.

DonL

Reaction score
Took it to radio shack and they laughed. They can only test little mini caps.

What would happen if I was oversized on the box? i.e. 3/4 hp pump with a 1 hp box. Would the larger caps eventually destroy the motor?

That is funny that they say they can not test that cap. Workers at Radio Shack only know Cell Phones now a days.

The only difference in the cap size is the voltage rating and most cap testers will check up to 1000uF.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=20362256&locale=en_US

A 1 HP box should work fine but will cost a bit more.

Good Luck.

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Thanks guys.. I'm going to go with a 1 hp crc control box and let the dice roll. Will post results or questions.
Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Hey guys.. just wanted to say thanks. I went with a 1 hp redhat controller and it worked fine. I did an amp draw and was looking at 6.1 amps per leg. Everything works just fine. It spewed out some muddy water for awhile but then was crystal clear. It holds pressure very well too. Talking to the neighbor, his is drilled 240 ft and its in a aquafir so the water is very good. I assume mine is about the same depth etc..

Only prob I have is half the cpvc under the mobile home is cracked to bits. Apparently it was full of water and froze at some time and most of it all split open. I replaced about 2/3rds of it so far and then its on to the sinks and toilets as they all drip or leak. lol..

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again. I really appreciate everyone that helped me out. I really didn't know much of anything about deep wells or two cap control boxes and you guys helped me get it up and running..

cheers!

Billyfixit

Reaction score
7 amps is 3/4 HP, 9 amps is a 1 HP. But it won't hurt to have a 1 HP box on the 3/4 HP pump. If the motor is that old, it may not have a built in overload. So you may want to add a 3/4 HP overload to your new box.

The motor/pump was installed in 98. The old conrol box was a redhat and the one I replaced it with was a redhat and virtually identacle. Neither box has a overload. I assumed that the motor has an overload and you said you belived so as well on page 2 of this thread. The breaker for it is 25A I believe. Do you think I should add an overload? As I said, it originally didn't have one in the original box.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I can't remember when it happened, but I am pretty sure motors in 98 had built in overloads. But if there is one in the control box, there usually isn't one in the motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks