Valve layout for tub/shower??????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmaru77

Reaction score
The book says that the valve to be 30" up from the tub for a tub/shower install, and the valve should be up 48" for just a shower.

In reality, the shower will be used 95% more than the tub. So I'd like to put the valve in between, like maybe 42". Is this a good idea?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only restrictions may be related to this:
- the tub spout must be higher than the tub rim to prevent possible backflow
- the pipe for the spout must be far enough away from the valve so that there is clearance for the trim
- some valves have a minimum distance between the valve and the spout to help ensure the water flows where it needs to.

So, in general, you can put it there if you wish as long as there's no other technical issue as listed above. You'd have to review the installation instructions carefully. The height for shower use is a good average so you don't have to stoop over to reach or adjust. For tub use, that should give you enough clearance to keep the tub spout high enough to pass code.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
30" sounds fine for a tub/shower.
I like to have the spout between 4-1/4" and 6" higher than the tub.
The valve about 10" to 12" higher than the spout.
I like a somewhat low valve location if you are in the tub, so that you can reach it when sitting in the tub.
If you're standing for a shower, it's easy to reach down.

My youngest graduated from the University of Washington over the weekend. I wasn't on a computer, but was with family.

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I was thinking of 30" off the floor for tub, and I normally do 48" off the floor for shower.

I took liberty and bent the rules. Why? because I can. My valve is at 44" and that is tough crap if someone has to reach the valve to add more water to the tub. By the time I sell the joint, I'll be 6 ft under most likely. Like I said 99% showers, 1% tub. I don't care about the next owners.

lanachurner

Reaction score
30" sounds fine for a tub/shower.
I like to have the spout between 4-1/4" and 6" higher than the tub.
The valve about 10" to 12" higher than the spout.
I like a somewhat low valve location if you are in the tub, so that you can reach it when sitting in the tub.
If you're standing for a shower, it's easy to reach down.

My youngest graduated from the University of Washington over the weekend. I wasn't on a computer, but was with family.

Agreed. Even if the tub is used mostly for a shower you still want the shower valve to be easily accessible while you are sitting in the tub. 30" above the floor of the tub is about right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks