Valve for 14x65 Katalox Light

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is a Fleck 2510 SXT sufficient for backwashing a Katalox Light bed in a 14x65 tank? The valve can backwash at 17GPM, meaning 12.5GPM / ft^2 in the tank. My well is a shallow well in upstate NY, so the water may not be cold year round, but it won't be hot either. Watch Water says 8-10GPM / ft^2, but I keep seeing 15GPM / ft^2 mentioned in the forums.

--John

Reach4

Reaction score
17GPM, meaning 12.5GPM / ft^2 in the tank.
I compute a 14 inch ID tank area at 1.06901 ft^2
Pie are square.
F7DR68YGLFUE2ZZ.MEDIUM.jpg

15.52 GPM/ft^2 (appropriate for 20 C backwash water and 35% bed expansion) would be 16.80 GPM.

Attachments

• img_kl14.PNG
    img_kl14.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 249

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Generically... we set the KL systems at 13 gpm per ft2. We also do extensive testing in clear tanks to determine the backwash/bed expansion rates based on actual test results, not computer simulations. Most companies really try to stretch their numbers to make their media look easier to use than it is. We bring KL in by the container load and have determined that 8-10 is probably sufficient but in our opinion, 13 gpm is better for a "generic" setting. Generic refers to the water temperatures that are considered most common in the US. typically 60-65 degrees. Please don't start bombing me with your water temperatures and how far off we are. :)

I know that water in Maine, Alaska, upstate New York is much lower and that the natural wells in Florida are always at 76 degree, and the springs in Hawaii are 84... we simply had to set a generic point that would accommodate the widest variable possible.

Yes, the 2510 should work but it is not an ideal valve for this application. Do you already have the valve and are simply trying to reuse it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks