Valve corrosion

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by sammyk, Nov 1, 2009.

1. sammyk

sammyk New Member

My house of 10 years old had some valves with corrosion on them. I've replaced most over the years, but they seem to keep corroding. The one with the most corrosion is on the hot water heater. I replaced that less than a year ago, but it is already badly corroded. I have never seen water leaking from any of them. My ph level is right around 7.1, and I have a water softener. I've attached pictures, as well. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Attached Files:

2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yes, the packing nuts leak. Tighten them up
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valves

The one in the bottom/last picture appears to have had a miniscule leak at its assembly joint, not the packing nut. If so, there was nothing you could do to prevent it except to buy better valves.
  4. sammyk

sammyk New Member

Thanks for the replies. I inspected the one on the bottom right again, and it did have a small leak, and I could see some water at the assembly joint. The company is sending me a new one. I will also try tightening-up the others.

Thanks again!