Valve clicking, but water not flowing.

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by greenalfonzo, Sep 24, 2011.

1. greenalfonzo

greenalfonzo New Member

Hi,

I just noticed that my sprinklers weren't coming on, so I looked and the display on my irritrol RD600 was blinking the accurate time. I adjusted the start time, and found that the water wasn't flowing when the system turned on. I then tried maually activating different valves through the control box without results.

I then opened the box, and opened the the little plastic bleeder screws and the sprinklers all came on. I then switched the solenoids to different valves, and repeated the process getting the same results. I checked the solenoid & the hole under it and they seemed clean and functional. No water flow through any valve, and a lot of clicking from the solenoid on the new first run valve. Trying to run a different zone manually through the box just has the display flick to a flashing OFF.

Thanks for any advice with this one.
  2. mike1059

mike1059 irrigation tech.

although it's very unusual for all the solenoids to go bad it's possible. first I would check the voltage at the clock, it should be 24v to each running station. if the voltage is good I would replace one solenoid with a new one and see if that is the fix. if the voltage is low the transformer or clock may have gone bad.
  3. greenalfonzo

greenalfonzo New Member

Thanks for your help, Mike. I continued to switch the solenoids, and let the system sit for a couple days, and then it started running all four valves, but two ran very loudly, with a rattling buzz sound. This has gone on for two weeks, now it won't run again with just a clicking sound coming from the #1 solenoid. I'm going to try rewiring all the solenoids to make sure it isn't a water problem as the box was pretty damp. I'll buy a new solenoid and get a meter to check the voltage next.