Valve Body Won't Fit

Users who are viewing this thread

ethdod

Reaction score
My valve body doesn't seem to fit in a standard wall. I am installing a pricepfister single handle tub/shower valve body in a standard 2x4 stud wall. I morticed 3 1"x6" cross members in the back of the studs for supporting screw blocks. There is 2 5/8" remaining for the valve body. The dimension in the instructions said a minimum of 2 5/8" clearance was needed but (I realized after all this work) they measured from the middle of the outlet instead of the base of the valve body. The dimension from the base of he body to the plate marked "Finished Wall Flush With This Surface" is 3.5". I am installing a direct to stud shower surround. 3.5" leaves no room for an inner wall support for this valve body. There is only sheet rock on the opposing wall. Don't know where to go from here!

SOLVED! Called Pricepfister and found the answer. They say their valve bodies will only work in applications that have around an inch of material past the studs. So I returned to Lowes and found that most other companies have valve bodies that work in any application including mine. So... Problem solved!

Last edited:

PeteD

Reaction score
Aren't the direct to stud surrounds about 1-inch thick?

I think they usually have foam or ribs behind the surround so it doesn't flex. It seems like that would give you enough room top use a 1"x piece of wood for support behind the valve against the drywall behind the valve...

Pete

ethdod

Reaction score
I purchased this surround from lowes and it is about 1/8" thick. It is attached by screws around the apron and glue on the studs.

PeteD

Reaction score
I have been looking at surrounds in Lowes, also. The only direct-to-stud version in my local store was a version by Crane that is about 1-inch thick. I am excluding the ones that are mated to tubs (i.e. Sterling Performa, etc.)

I doubt that a 1/8-inch thick version is thick enough for direct-to stud install (flush without a contour and support behind it). What model did you get? I suspect you may need cement board or Hardiebacker underneath.

ethdod

Reaction score
If it isn't direct to stud I'm in trouble since the tub fits like a glove. I guess I could take the rock over the lip of the tub, but the surround is fitted to this tub and I don't think it would fit with the rock. This solution would also present some problems with the existing wall outside the tub. Hmmm.

PeteD

Reaction score
You are right. That installation will only give you 1/8-inch, as far as I can tell.

In figure 3 of the manual they do show a backerboard (if you are installing a shower door). Maybe you can use a backerboard to give you the clearance? Kind of defeats the beauty of the direct to stud install though, doesn't it?

http://www.asbcorp.com/manuals/27717.pdf

Maybe they sell low clearance valves, if you do not have to have the one you bought?

ethdod

Reaction score
The step that addresses the additional green board says to skip that step if installing the eleganza surround...

I'm thinking about cutting the rock in the opposing wall and replacing it with 1/2" plywood as a screw block surface. This would give me the 3.5" necessary and if I use bolts to attach the Valve Body it will also work as an access.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Cut the opening in the wall panel at least an inch smaller than the plastic ring. Leave the ring on the valve, (remove your mounting wood pieces). Install the valve with the ring mounted, install the wall panel over the ring, (the smaller hole will prevent the plastic piece from coming through the hole), and then install the outer trim ring, clamping the wall panel between the plastic ring and the trim ring.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
do you have the surround on site? direct to stud surrounds have a 1/8" mounting flange around the perimeter for the drywall to overlap. the actual surround walls are about 1" beyond the studs. this way the surround walls extend farther than the drywall and are not recessed.

ethdod

Reaction score
This surround has no space between the stud and the surround wall. It is intended to be glued directly to the studs.

ethdod

Reaction score
Clamping it is intriquing. You don't think it would crack the surround wall over time? I also have the faucet and the shower head to attach. The faucet would add weight to the valve.

Last edited:

ethdod

Reaction score
Called Pricepfister and found the answer. They say their valve bodies will only work in applications that have around an inch of material past the studs. So I returned to Lowes and found that most other companies have valve bodies that work in any application including mine. So... Problem solved!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks