Valley Cartridge won't come out

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishin

Reaction score
I have a Valley single handle shower cartridge to replace and when I went to remove it only part of it came out. Any tips on how to get the rest of it out? I've got it soaked with PB Blaster. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A photo of what you have would help. Even if the cartridge came apart, it should remove easily with needle nose

Fishin

Reaction score
After soaking the cartridge, it did in fact rotate and come out. It is a single handle Valley shower faucet. My problem now is after I replaced the cartridge the faucet is dripping. I cleaned the housing with steel wool then flushed before I installed the new cartridge. Any ideas? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Again, I will ask "WHICH MODEL"? Saying it is a "single handle Valley faucet" is like saying "I have Ford, which starter motor do I need"? Picture please? Some have seals integral with the cartridge and others have independent seals inside the body which have to be replaced when you change the cartridge.

Last edited:

Fishin

Reaction score
I'll have to get schooled on posting pictures but I will in the near future. I coudn't find the model number but the cartridge part number at plumbingsupply.com is V4268BG. After talking to the plumbing supply store, they suggested that I spread the springs inside the cartridge to make them slightly longer. I removed the cartridge, released to two plastic tabs on the front part of the cartridge then removed the two springs and seals. The seals cup shaped and slide over the springs. With two pairs of needle nose, I pulled on each end of the spring making the spring slightly longer. Reassmbled cartridge then reinstalled and that , so far has cured it or at least it is considerably better. If need be I will remove the the cartridge and lenghten the springs, again. Shouldn't have to do this to a new cartridge but.........
I intially put the springs from the old cartidge in the the new cartridge because I noticed they were slightly longer but that didn't work. It still leaked the same amount. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is the same advice someone else got from Pegasus to repair their leaking faucet. When asked if they had "longer" springs they said they don't have longer springs just pull the ones you have to make them longer. Maybe Delta springs for the "old" version faucet would work because they might be the same diameter.

Fishin

Reaction score
Thanks. I have never had to replace a cartridge(lucky) but lessoned learned.

Fishin

Reaction score
001.jpg Here is the picture of the cartridge..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks