Validate drain and vent plan

Users who are viewing this thread

PJR

Reaction score
I'm redoing our master bath and as part of the remodel we are swapping the location of the shower and the tub and making the shower bigger. The shower has a 2" drain and a 1 1/2 vent coming off the drain line and up the wall to the roof. The tub has a 1 1/2 drain that dumps into a 1 1/2 pipe in the wall that is also vented through a 1 1/2 vent to the roof.

Can I dump both the shower and the tub to the 2" drain and then connect the vents as shown in the attachment? I believe I need to give the shower its own vent line since it is outside the 5ft distance for the 2" wall vent. Points I would like to have verified

1) Can i run both the shower and tub to the same 2" drain (sloped 1/4" per foot)
2) Is it necessary to use a 2" ptrap and drain line on the tub since it is more than 3 ft from the vent
3) Should I use a Wye fitting to connect the tub drain line to the drain from the shower? Is there a better recommendation?
4) When running the vent for the shower off the 2" drain line what do I need to think about? Does the vent need to stay vertical until it is 6" higher than the shower drain or the tub overflow?

What else am I forgetting?

Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 402

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Below approx. 42" above the floor, the vent can not be horizontal ( defined as less than 45º slope)

PJR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply even though it kind of shoot my plan down :) Can you suggest any alternatives? The 2" drain line is in the 2 joist bay so I can't go vertical more that 20" (tub deck height).

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
I believe you are allowed to wet vent in Illinois, so the drainage "looks" ok, but your venting does not. It is difficult to really approve of your drawing as the actual installation could be interpreted in many ways.

PJR

Reaction score
If I put a pony wall between the shower and the tub I could meet the 42" vertical requirement on the shower vent. Would that make the rest of the design valid?

thanks again

Attachments

• room.jpg
    room.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 318
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks