Vacuum Breaker Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

curtisgwiz

Reaction score
I have an outside faucet that has a vacuum breaker on it. The vacuum breaker has faulted and needs to be replaced. The threads that attach to the faucet are not standard. They look to be 1 inch and finer then pipe threads. I have been to every plumbing supply store in the area without success. The only marking on the faucet is "T-J". The breaker has "TANNER MFG. ERIE PA. N0. 928000 - ASSE 1011". The house was built in 1988 in Minnesota. Any idea how I can get a replacement for this? Tanner Mfg. doesn't seem to exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• faucet2E.JPG
    faucet2E.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,724
  • vacuum breaker2e.JPG
    vacuum breaker2e.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,934
Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Vacuum Breaker

Go to any plumbing supply house and ask for a Watts 8A vacuum breaker, you may be able to find it at the big box stores also. Don't worry about the brand, all breakers of that type will work, luck. :)

curtisgwiz

Reaction score
Vacuum Breaker

Go to any plumbing supply house and ask for a Watts 8A vacuum breaker, you may be able to find it at the big box stores also. Don't worry about the brand, all breakers of that type will work, luck. :)

As I mentioned, I've been to a number of places including big box stores before going to a couple of large plumbing supply houses. They did not have anything that would fit. Of course they had Watts 8A vacuum breakers. But, the Watts 8A vacuum breaker's inlet connection is a 3⁄4" (20mm) standard female hose thread. What I am looking for is at least 1" and the threads are not standard.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
The fine thread is the kicker here....code requires if you remove the vacuum breaker you can't hook a hose to it.

Since Tanner is gone, you can try to see if someone else's fine thead vacuum breaker kit might fit...no guarantees. Prier has a C-434KT-806, Arrowhead has one, maybe Woodford.

If not, time to replace.

Wraujr

Reaction score
Any chance you can just remove the insides and now it becomes an adapter after which you just attach the Watts 8A???

curtisgwiz

Reaction score
Any chance you can just remove the insides and now it becomes an adapter after which you just attach the Watts 8A???

That's a good idea. However wouldn't the original vacuum breaker have to be modified to plug the holes that still exit? I was thinking that maybe I would have to solder or weld a metal ring inside to cover the overflow holes?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vb

It is proprietary to the manufacturer, so if they are out of business, then YOU are out of luck, unless it was made for them by a company which is still in business, AND is still using the same pattern, which seldom happens. Replace the faucet, there is NO other way to fix it.

curtisgwiz

Reaction score
Got lucky

After going to every big box store and two big plumbing supply stores (Graingers and Ferguson) and them not having any thing that would fit, I stopped by a little local plumbing supply shop. They had one from Nibco that worked. It sure beats breaking through a wall to replace a faucet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

With that type of valve you do not have to "beat through a wall" to replace it. You unscrew it from the pipe and install a new one. IT would have been a lot faster, and probably less stessful, than driving all over the countryside looking for the piece.

curtisgwiz

Reaction score
According to the two plumber I got quotes from, it required "breaking" into the wall.

dangrrr

Reaction score
Confirmed that a Nibco adapter from a supply shop (1-1/8" X 3/4" threads) solves this. Had the EXACT same TANNER part on my 2 outdoor faucets (funny that I too have a Minnesota house from the 1980s with this same part). Needed to append a standard 3/4" vaccuum breaker to the Nibco adapter, but at least I didn't have to pay a plumber to replace the 1-1/8" faucet.

Last edited:

ekim44

Reaction score
Confirmed that a Nibco adapter from a supply shop (1-1/8" X 3/4" threads) solves this. Had the EXACT same TANNER part on my 2 outdoor faucets (funny that I too have a Minnesota house from the 1980s with this same part). Needed to append a standard 3/4" vaccuum breaker to the Nibco adapter, but at least I didn't have to pay a plumber to replace the 1-1/8" faucet.

I have the same problem with the TANNER 928000. Do you have a part number for the Nibco adapter? I am located in New Jersey.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks