Utility tub installation

Users who are viewing this thread

johni111

Reaction score
I've wanted for some time to install a slop sink in my utility room. I notice that about 16" to the left of the washer standpipe there is a 2" capped black plastic pipe sticking about 3" out from the wall. This pipe is 21" above the floor. I was hoping that this is a waste line the builder put there just for the future installation of a utility sink. Is this possible or might this pipe have some other use?

johni111

Reaction score
No stubouts

I'm thinking of screwing on wye adapters onto the hot and cold water supply valves for the washer to get water to the utility tub. Make sense?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
That pipe could be a clean out for an extisting fixture. You have to check to see if anything is tied into it, if so tying into that line will require a vent going up to your venting system.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
That pipe could be a clean out for an extisting fixture. You have to check to see if anything is tied into it, if so tying into that line will require a vent going up to your venting system.

Correct but I was guessing and haven't seen many cleanouts sticking out 3" from the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

But 21" high is a bit much for a laundry sink. Depending on what the pipe actually does, it may not be properly vented either. I doubt that anyone would install a dedicated riser for a future fixture not knowing if it would ever be used.It could be a cleanout and the 3" is so it would project out of the wall if the area were ever finished. One clue would be whether it is sealed with a screwed plug or a glued on cap.

johni111

Reaction score
Cleanout?

I checked and realized that the cap is a screw on type. I suppose this means that it is intended as a cleanout. There is a floor drain in the room. Perhaps I could situate the new sink there and route the waste line to the floor drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks