Utility tub installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by johni111, Dec 1, 2009.

1. johni111

johni111 New Member

I've wanted for some time to install a slop sink in my utility room. I notice that about 16" to the left of the washer standpipe there is a 2" capped black plastic pipe sticking about 3" out from the wall. This pipe is 21" above the floor. I was hoping that this is a waste line the builder put there just for the future installation of a utility sink. Is this possible or might this pipe have some other use?
  2. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Sounds like it. No water stubouts?
  3. johni111

johni111 New Member

No stubouts

I'm thinking of screwing on wye adapters onto the hot and cold water supply valves for the washer to get water to the utility tub. Make sense?
  4. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

That pipe could be a clean out for an extisting fixture. You have to check to see if anything is tied into it, if so tying into that line will require a vent going up to your venting system.
  5. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

Correct but I was guessing and haven't seen many cleanouts sticking out 3" from the wall.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

But 21" high is a bit much for a laundry sink. Depending on what the pipe actually does, it may not be properly vented either. I doubt that anyone would install a dedicated riser for a future fixture not knowing if it would ever be used.It could be a cleanout and the 3" is so it would project out of the wall if the area were ever finished. One clue would be whether it is sealed with a screwed plug or a glued on cap.
  7. johni111

johni111 New Member

Cleanout?

I checked and realized that the cap is a screw on type. I suppose this means that it is intended as a cleanout. There is a floor drain in the room. Perhaps I could situate the new sink there and route the waste line to the floor drain.