utility sink/washer pump along with sewage ejector

Users who are viewing this thread

kingtuna

Reaction score
Hi. Years of off and on reading, 1st post. In researching installing a basement 1/2 (or maybe 3/4) bath, I see that the sewage pit needs its own dedicated roof vent and the discharge must be at least 10 feet down the horizontal line (wye take off on top) from other fixtures. Now I wonder if my washer and sink pump (floor box) is correct. It vents out the sidewall and discharges into the vertical stack. Is this OK? If not, does it need its own vent, or can it tie up to the existing vent stack? Does it also need to discharge 10 feet or more down the line? If so, can it share the wye (san tee at the drop down to the wye?) that I add for the sewage pit? Can it share the vent I add for the pit?
Thanks much.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The vent can tie into an existing vent stack, but you're not going to find one of those in the basement usually, you'll probably have to go up inside a wall and tie into a vent in the attic.

kingtuna

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and quick reply. I will have a path. The purpose of this job is to have facilities available while I rip and remodel the existing bathroom at my speed. I just want to make previous wrongs right as well. Can the laundry pump discharge stay where it is?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer pump is likely a smaller pump, with a smaller discharge. It should be fine going into the vertical stack. It can vent back into the existing vents too.
A sewage ejector with 4/10 hp motor does require more thought. Around here, they like to see the 2" drop into a 4" waste line.

kingtuna

Reaction score
Thanks all. Separately, I will reroute the laundry tub vent. I'm not going crazy on that. Below is our NYS code(ICC?) on this. I have 11 1/2 feet of horizontal 4" drain after the stack bottom 90's before it goes out the foundation to the septic tank. So I interpret this, with the information you provided, to mean that I will put this 4X2 wye in with the 2" at the vertical just before it goes out. If I interpret it correctly, I will also have to relocate a sink drain that is 2 feet down the horizontal that is existing.

SECTION 712 SUMPS AND EJECTORS

712.3.5 Ejector connection to the drainage system. Pumps connected to the drainage system shall connect to the building sewer or shall connect to a wye fitting in the building drain a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the base of any soil stack, waste stack or fixture drain. Where the discharge line connects into horizontal drainage piping, the connector shall be made through a wye fitting into the top of the drainage piping.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks