Utility Sink vs Cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'd like to add a utility sink in my basement. Plumbing is all in one corner of the house so its all right there asking for a sink. :D My only concern is the main cleanout is right there too. The utility sink would be right over top of it. If this was a new house, I would think nothing of it, but it's 82 years old and needs to be accessed yearly. Will it still be accessable enough? Should I not place it here?

Thanks,
Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
co

If you put the sink there you will not only have an unhappy plumber, but you will have one who will remove the sink if he has to use the cleanout.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Hmm .... how big are those root cutting auger machines? How much room do I need to leave?

Thx
Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Or another question .... could I put on some sort of 4 in long sweeping elbow on the cleanout and relocate it to a better, more accessable place? Is this just a dumb idea? I can see how it might look funny, but space is kind of a premium in the laundry area.

Thx
Jason

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
you would want to relocate the sink, not the cleanout! Keep that puppy where it is, the sink is the intruder and will have to be compromised if you want that 82 year old house AND your plumber to remain happy... nothing scarier than having these two cantankerous at the same time ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks