Utility Sink - How to tie into existing water line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bock, Nov 3, 2008.

1. bock

bock New Member

This might be way over my head as I really have no experience with plumbing at all, but would love to learn more and gain a better understanding of it. Perhaps you all can help me know where I need to begin...

So I'd like to install a utility sink in the garage. The spot I'd like it to go is up against the wall where directly on the other side of the wall (in the house) is a bathroom sink. So there is already a water line and drain right where I need it. How do I tap into what's already there with the bathroom sink and hook up the utility sink to it?? Is this a pretty easy process, something a beginner like myself could tackle? Even if it's not, I'd still like to know the process and tools I'd need so I can at least understand it. Thanks in advance for your knowledge!
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Well supplies are relatively easy...
    The real question is how do you run the drain...
    That is dependent on gravity.
    Do you have a basement?
  3. bock

bock New Member

no basement...can I just use the same drain as the bathroom sink on the other side of the wall?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

How do the heights match up?
  5. bock

bock New Member

not sure. I don't have the sink and haven't broken into the wall yet. What do I need to keep in mind when dealing with the drain?