utica /replace pressure valve ?

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by 4uzindian, Jan 27, 2014.

1. 4uzindian

4uzindian New Member

1989 model dv.it has aslight drip now because its old and i opened it to test it.any tips on the procedure to replace it?
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Turn off the water. If you don't have a handy whole-house turnoff valve, get one installed. http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/reducingValves.asp?catId=64 You will probably need a plumber for this. If you were looking for help, to do it yourself, not a good post.

How did it only have a slight drip when you opened it rather than gushing water?
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The valve can often end up with a bit of mineral deposits on the stem making it hard for it to return and seal and the seat may end up getting hard after long use. Works fine until you open it. It's safer to check it and ensure it can open, but you have to be aware that it may no longer seal, and need replacement. Sometimes, after a delay, it may stop dripping, but it's a sign it should be replaced. While a boiler has various safety controls to prevent it from being overpressured, you really want that last ditch pressure relief valve to open if it needs to.
  4. 4uzindian

4uzindian New Member

thanks for reply.it did ghus when i opened all the way.put a new valve in the smorning. it works just fin. read thru many how to's of this .it's ok now.thanks again .if something else comes up.i'll be back with my tail between my legs.thanks for the tap on for watts products .it was very infomative.for now i'll be closing this post.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014