utiaca boiler -leaky return valve

Users who are viewing this thread

4uzindian

Reaction score
theres 2 return pipes going bacck to boiler. each has a faucet type valve and a blue valve that says close this valve before releasing air. two valves on each return line. My problem is one of the blue valves is dripping water about 6 ounces an hour. if i decide to install new valves on this . do i have to drain both incoming lines ? or just the one ? i'm sure the main water feed has to be shut . and the system drained to get this done . and then refilled and purged to elimanate any air.or could i put a new gasket in this valve body. how do i post a picture on here ?

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If you can isolate the dripping valve from both sides it wouldn't require draining down the system, reducing the amount of air-purging you'd be in for later. There's no way to know for sure if that's possible without inspecting the system. If it's a gate-valve leaking at the valve stem it may be possible to just tighten the compression nut over the packing, or replace the packing without touching more than the valve stem (do this only with the system tepid or cold to avoid scalding yourself.)

FH02OCT_WAVALE_01.JPG

If it's dripping at a gasketed or threaded connection it may need to be re-sealed with thread tape, or a new gasket, which would require opening up the system to inspect and clean up the threads and re-tape or re-gasket.

Thread-Seal-Tape---Sealants.gif

But repair it you must- a steady supply of fresh replacement water will create corrosion problems in system components like iron pump impellers, etc.

4uzindian

Reaction score
thanks for the reply.it is not the stem of valve but the screw in.there is no way to isolate this valve.so i'll hav to replace it.or find a washer .i'll still have to drain it to get to it.i asked before if i do this do i have to drain and purge the other inlet line.or can ijust close the valve on that side ? this is an edit of post from the morning. it's now 3:30 pm. i tighted the valve body .the drip from valve is now one drip every 2 minutes. tommorow i'll tighten just a little more. see if ican elimanate drip. i will repost tommorow .

Last edited:

4uzindian

Reaction score
i'm now getting only one and and a half ounzes of drip every 16 hours. i'm going to leave it like this for a while. because if i tighten the the valve any mor i'm afraid it might crack or break the threads. which it probally won't. so for now i'll leave it this way. as for the pressure test gauge you displayed for me to test boiler pressure i haven't decided to buy this yet. so i'm ok with the way it's running. will repost. thanks again for your pictures.

4uzindian

Reaction score
i tighted the valve body just a little more. there is no drip of water now .thanks for your replys .i.m closing this post now .as for the pressure test of boiler pressure with the gauge you displayed that i would have to buy. i'm leaving this for now since there is no problem .

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks