Using Wedi Board With Swanstone Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
When using Wedi Board with Swanstone Pan, does it get installed like the Swanstone instructions for their alcove walls?

They say the backer water proof walls should be flush with the Swantone shower pan lip and also with a 1/2 inch gap above the lip (to avoid wicking).

Seems like their approach would let water get into the 1/2 inch gap over time. But then, I have no experience with this wicking concern.

What do you folks think about this?

DanMcD

Reaction score
Great and thanks. That was the attachment I was trying to send but I could not make it work.

John, also....below is the other info I got from Peter Beckmann, in addition to his attachment info that you just provided:

----
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your interested.

You want to cut out a notch on the back side of the wedi board, apply a continuous bead of wedi joint sealant to the inside of the tub flange and install the wedi board to the framework, so that the tub flange is integrated into the wedi board. wedi board can be installed down to the actual tub edge the tub edge leaving only 1/8” gap to alow for movement. Wedi board cannot wick water unlike fleece/paper laminated foam boards, gypsum or cement boards. It will fully back your tile all the way down to the edge of tub. Plumb, Square and tight corners are the result of the tub flanges safe integration into the wedi board. see the tub surround Kit TDS attached – It shows the installation method in detail
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you and have a great day
Peter

Sincerely,

Peter Beckmann
Technical Support Manager Midwest/Center

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks