Using all my glass tiles as a border/decoration

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Hi, we have a bathroom remodel underway and I found out that I need to buy 11 sq ft (case) of 2 x 2 glass tiles, but in fact, only need 6 sq ft for my border. The area to be tiled is a standard bathtub surround. Any tips or pics with designs? We are trying for a modern look. There will also be a shampoo/soap niche.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
We're going to the ceiling but not the actual ceiling. Floor to ceiling is 7'. I only want to tile around the tub which is a tub-shower combo. I'll be using
13" porcelain and 2 x 2 glass tiles as accent.

We figured out 75' of field tiles (for tub surround), 36 linear feet of bullnose and 6' of 2 x 2's.

The floor (toilet area) is 30 ft.

Does this help?

I was wondering if I should have a bigger band of glass tiles at the very top in a row of 3's and then a smaller band of 2's in the middle?:confused: The thought of having 5 sq ft worth of my glass tiles in a box unused doesn't appeal to me.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
So drywall starts at tub edge. Water will make paint peel there.

The tub-drywall-tiled-wall junction is weak point. Think about this for a long time and then plan to make use of your extra glass tiles in a way that resolves the problem practically. Be practical. You can use more field tiles too.

Of the two or three options you will have thought of, one will be more esthetic and balanced. That is the "right" design for your space. It may mean that the extra glass tiles make a vertical stripe in the wall at the tub edge, and the field tile continues for 6 inches beyond. That's just one illustration.

This is how Leonardo thought. Be practical first.

-david

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The possibilities are endless. You could put a strip connecting the showerhead to the valve, or you could make the niche back wall all glass (size it so you can use whole tile), or put a square around the showerhead and valve, or...depending on the colors and sizes (it would have worked out better if the field tile was say 12", a multiple of the glass), you just have to play with it.

Another choice would be to put a glass tile on the points of the field tile...cut off a 45-degree chunk of 4 adjacent tile to make a square the size of the glass tile. Intersperse these in an attractive pattern.

You can simulate some of this by just laying some tile out on the floor.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
HoneySuckle said:
Hi, we have a bathroom remodel underway and I found out that I need to buy 11 sq ft (case) of 2 x 2 glass tiles, but in fact, only need 6 sq ft for my border. The area to be tiled is a standard bathtub surround. Any tips or pics with designs? We are trying for a modern look. There will also be a shampoo/soap niche.
I suggest going to www.johnbridge.com for tile advice. You will be able to discuss design ideas and get some feedback from pros in the business.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. I like the "practical" advice. Hadn't thought of that - being practical about approaching my tile design.

Heading to JB ASAP and will definitely post pics once I get things started and finished.

NurseDoe

Reaction score
Tile

I saw a very nice use of small glass tiles in shower. The field tiles were white and they only used the expensive glass tiles in the shampoo niche, the build in shower bench/seat and a very high shelf. It was in the lates issue of home handyman. I loved the detailed directions that included where to tile first!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks