Using a reducing Y to vent a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikect05

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post here and I would like to say thank you for all the contributors because I have read and learned so much on this forum.
I am planning a bathroom renovation and the location of the toilet is making it very difficult to vent. The toilet will be draining away from the wall it will be on and it is 9' to the the main stack. At first I wanted to wet vent the toilet using the Lav, but that would require me to use a 2" pvc drain running through 8" joists, so that is out of the question. I have found a website that explains using a reducing Y to vent the toilet, but this would mean that the vent run horizontally with a pitch up under the floor until it gets to the wall behind the toilet. Is that against code? Here is the webpage with the different configurations on it.

http://www.diyadvice.com/diy/plumbing/bathroom/drain-vent-lines/

toilet vent.jpgtoilet vent2.jpg

Either of these configurations would work fine for me, as long as it is suitable to do so. Also should I have a clean out there as well?

Attachments

• toilet vent2.jpg
    toilet vent2.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

Mikect05

Reaction score
If the toilet drain is 4" do I need a vent at all since It will run into the main vent within 10'?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You are under the IPC, which I believe leaves toilets unvented. I'm West Coast, so we vent ours. I've vented like in the drawing before.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The second picture would be better if the horizontal fitting were a combination Y-1/8 bend, or similar, then the vent from the end of it, IMMEDIATELY into a street 45 and then a second 45 turning vertical at the wall, which would ELIMINATE the horizontal vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Neither works here because both have sections that are horizontal and below the flood level rim

Mikect05

Reaction score
The second picture would be better if the horizontal fitting were a combination Y-1/8 bend, or similar, then the vent from the end of it, IMMEDIATELY into a street 45 and then a second 45 turning vertical at the wall, which would ELIMINATE the horizontal vent.

I will have to measure it out to see if I have room for the 45 degree angle up to get to the wall.

If I do use 4" pvc for the drain, would that mean I would be good both IPC and UPC? I read that a 4" pipe can have a run from closet to vent of 10' under UPC. Is that correct? Therefore is running a separate vent needed or recommended with your experience?
Thanks so much for the help!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The UPC 10' dimension is TO THE VENT, so yes, you do need a vent of some kind. If a 45 is too much, use a street 1/16 bend and at the wall use another street 1/16 into a 45. It will still give you adequate slope that the "horizontal vent prohibition" would not apply.

Mikect05

Reaction score
The UPC 10' dimension is TO THE VENT, so yes, you do need a vent of some kind. If a 45 is too much, use a street 1/16 bend and at the wall use another street 1/16 into a 45. It will still give you adequate slope that the "horizontal vent prohibition" would not apply.

Awesome. Thank you HJ.
So the 10' dimension to the vent... I can run a 4" drain from toilet and it will meet up with the main drain at exactly 9' away. My main drain however is 3" abs, can I use a 3x3x4 fernco, 4 being the arm from the toilet, and 3 straight up for the vent, and 3 straight down as main drain?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks