Using 1" Viega PEX

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rayh78, Nov 1, 2012.

1. rayh78

rayh78 New Member

Used ½ and ¾ PEX for years and never a problem. Use with crimp rings.
    Recently bought a used 1” crimper tool. Am Using viega brand pipe and rings.
    Anyways I seem to have a hard time making a normal crimp. 50% of the time the ring is at an angle after the crimp. Rings do seem to have a little too much play in them before the crimp than what I am used to. Tried a different brand ring and same thing.
    Is 1” that much harder to use? Might have had this happen and made a bad crimp with the other sizes one out of a 100 crimps.
    Maybe have a problem with the tool?
    Don’t use the home run method. But thought I would start running 1” PEX from main shut off to a tee were I would branch off with ¾” going to the water heater and then to the cold runs.
    Thinking this would be better for volume of water.
    But my questions is. Has anybody had a problem crimping 1" pex? Almost sure it is a problem with these used crimpers.

Thanks for suggestions
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IT sounds like it is a 'user problem" because if the ring is on the tubing "straight" and the crimper is applied to the ring "straight" it should not deflect while squeezing it.
  3. hhplumbing

hhplumbing New Member

If you have been using PEX pipe for a while and know what your doing, then my guess is the tool needs to be sent for recalibration. Viega is a well known brand and I highly doubt it's got anything to do with the rings or pipe.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

"recalibration" would affect the squeezing power, and has nothing to do with the tool "twisting" the ring.