User review on CST454CEFG 2 piece TOTO Drake II, Gwenyth, Owner comments and pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

cjldad

Reaction score
I understand.. Can call it the golf ball effect.. :)

I've attached a pic with the general area that looks to not have full white glazing.. It is glazed, but not white.. Can't feel it either..

Also, anyone know if they are going to make a "standard" height version of the CST454? I like the look, and the dual cyclone and would like to replace the one in my guest bath as well...

toto.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I won't try to second guess what the manufacturer might or might not do, but I will say that the so-called "standard" height toilet is rapidly becomes non-standard as more and more of us consumers want either the comfort height or the ADA height toilet. The round bowls are also becoming hard to find. It is really the old "supply and demand" principle. I doubt either of these features will disappear completely, but when demand decreases, the supply isn't far behind. This is also why you don't find Sanigloss on a wide variety of round bowls. Most (not all, of course) people who buy a round bowl, standard height want a low cost toilet. Adding colors and Sanigloss would require a price increase. I sure agree that Sanigloss should be available on more models, and perhaps in time, Toto will go that direction.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That is a wierd spot for it not to be white.

Good question about Standard 14-1/2" versus Comfort, Chair, or Universal 16-1/8" height bowls.
Toto seems to be adding a lot of the taller bowls to the line up.

jcarerra

Reaction score
OK, I got 2 of the CST454CEFG 2 piece TOTO Drake II's with CEFIONTECT. Pretty much love it based on 1 day's worth of use.

But I have a question: the cleaning instructions that came with it say to use "neutral" detergents--non acid, non alkaline. Can someone give me some brand examples of what they are talking about? Also, no abrasives. Duh.

Instruction sheet was silent about Clorox. I presume there's no problem with that though, right?

cst454-tiled-in.jpg

kne5017894

Reaction score
Toto Drake II question

Hey, I have printed all the spec sheets and still can't come up with an overall height, floor to top of tank. I am installing in a 4' X 6' space, so trying to make sure the new sink & johnny will fit before I order them. Can anyone tell me the total height of the tank against the wall?
Thanks,
K

kne5017894

Reaction score
Terry, Somehow that measurement was NOT on the spec sheet I had printed from TOTO. Thanks for filling in the blank! Have a good holiday weekend.

pd27

Reaction score
My wife is not a fan of the standard THU068 lever for our new Drake II, she feels is it extremely cheap feeling. Is there a replacement that I can use on the toilet that would feel more solid either from Toto or someone else?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, there are plenty of cheap side mount handles, and then there are the expensive ones for side mount too.
Handles are pretty generic, and choices are many if you shop at a plumbing supply store with all the catalogs.
It's all a matter of taste and preference.

toto_thu068.jpg

Last edited:

pd27

Reaction score
Thanks. I was concerned that my selection was limited because I read that Toto's lever hookup was proprietary. So it's actually standard and any side lever will work? There aren't many that claim they work on Toto.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If they have a brass rod, the rod can be bent as needed.
Though the lever that comes with the Drake is fine. I don't see a problem with it.
It fits my thumb very well, and it's a fairly easy lift. I've seen some brands that require a lot of effort.

dz20854

Reaction score
Is it true that toilet seats have to be bought separately for Toto toilets?

No, that is not true. There are only two sizes of seats sold in the US, either regular (round) or the elongated. Any elongated seat sold in the US will fit on any elongated bowl.
Many of my customers use the Bemis and Church seats. You can also use Kohler and American Standard seats if you wish. Terry

If we remove the seats from our old toilets, can we use them on the new Toto Drake toilets and save the expense of buying them from Toto?

The old seats are a generic Bemis model (elongated) that lower slowly silently, and are still in good condition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only thing you may notice with using a different seat than a Toto on a Toto toilet (and this is true for any brand toilet), is that the colors may not perfectly match (but should be close), and the shape may not perfectly match, but again, would be close.

ChickenWarrior

Reaction score
Hello,
I have read posts on Terry's sites for years, but the time has finally come to purchase a new toilet and I had a couple of questions. I have read every post and review on every toilet I am interested in and have narrowed it down to the Drake II or Ultramax II. The question I have is about the part number for the Drake II. (I'll ask my Ultramax question on that thread.) CST454CEFG seems to be used for several things. I did read where the Drake II replaced the Gwenyth, so that clarifies that. But when I search online I see that the Drake II is offered with the "E+" flush or sometimes it doesn't mention the flush type at all. I am holding in my hand right now the brochure I was given yesterday by my local Platinum Dealer for Toto that lists the Drake II CST454CEFG with the E+ Flush. I do not want this. This forum indicates as well as the Toto website, that the Drake II has the "C2" double cyclone flush, which is what I want. So is E+ a misprint, or an option, or an older model? Considering that same part number is used for an older Gwenyth as well, I am unsure. I don't want to order a Drake II expecting a C2 flush and get an E+ instead. So if I order today, 12/9/11, a CST454CEFG Drake II can I expect to receive a C2 flush? Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CST454CEFG Drake II is listed this way

C = Cyclone flush (Double Cyclone)
E = 1.28 gallons per flush
F = Universal Height bowl
G = CEFIONTECT

ChickenWarrior

Reaction score
Thank you!

The CST454CEFG Drake II is listed this way

C = Cyclone flush (Double Cyclone)
E = 1.28 gallons per flush
F = Universal Height bowl
G = CEFIONTECT

That was what I was hoping but wanted to make for sure. When you are using mail order for a toilet, you want it to be right the first time!

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am working my way through remodeling my house. I bought this toilet (CST454CEFG) 1.5 years ago, then it took a while to get around to installing it due to various problems with the remodel. Anyway, now that its installed, I love the look and the powerful flush, and the low water consumption.

However, I find that it gets skid marked almost every time you do a 2. I asked my roommate about it (to be sure it wasn't just my diet or something), and he said that he has the same problem. He spends a lot of time at his girlfriend's house, and said that he rarely has this problem on her fairly low end American Standard 1.6gpf (he couldn't remember the model). So it seems that there might be some issue with this particular toilet?

For this kind of money, I expect the toilet to rinse pretty well.

I've been living with it for a while now, just assuming that maybe it was me or that 1.28gpfs just can't be expected to do better than this, or something, but all the reviews I've read here and elsewhere seem to be pretty positive in this regard. Now, I am ready to buy a toilet for my powder room, where most of my guests will be using the toilet, and don't want a repeat of the problems I've had with my other one.

So, is there any recourse on the previous toilet (bought in June 2011 I believe, but only used for maybe 6 months so far), and any recommendations or advice for my powder room toilet? I was thinking of getting an Aquia, but I've seen a lot of reviews with this same complaint for that model, so thinking that I should stick with the 1.28 or maybe even go back to 1.6 for better bowl rinsing. Or do you think I just got a bad Drake II and I'd be good with another one?

Thanks,
Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks