use water heater tank for Cl treatment?

Users who are viewing this thread

000utback

Reaction score
I am ready to replace my wellhead chlorine tablet dispenser with a Stenner pump. I'll do this in my basement and need a contact tank to allow treatment time. Official fiberglass treatment tanks look expensive. I'm wondering about picking up a used water heater for free or cheap and using it as the contact tank. The immersed inlet tube will help with mixing and the bottom drain will be great for blowing out sediment. (I'm chlorinating to oxidize a little sulfur, and precipitate iron) Of course a metal tank would rust out quick, but aren't most water heaters glass lined? or are all glass lined? Today my local CL has an excellent 50 gal unit for 50$.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Be sure the glass lining is intact. I'm guessing a major reason for trashing a water heater is a lining failure, and if that's the case, highly chlorinated water will accelerate the erosion of the steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks