Use plastic sheet above/below mortar when setting tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheakamus

Reaction score
I am about to install a drop-in Hydrosystems whirlpool tub. Manufacturer requires a mortar seat. Floor is Sturd-i-floor ply; tub is fiberglas moulded onto OSB base. I am contemplating putting a sheet of plastic on the floor before shoveling on the mortar and then covering the loose mortar with another sheet of plastic before setting the tub on top. My reasoning is that (god forbid) if I ever need to remove the tub, it won't be stuck to the floor. On the other hand, maybe it would be better if the OSB was bonded to the ply? What do you guys/gals think?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Put it on both sides...the OSB will suck moisture out, weakening the mortar before it has a good chance to hydrate and cure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks