Urine around base of toilet even after wax ring replaced.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Northrambo, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Northrambo

Northrambo New Member

Help!!!

I replaced my wax seal because I had urine around the base of my toilet. Now, one day later, there is fresh, and aromatic urine around the base of my toilet on the floor again. I don't understand why it is such a strong urine content with what appears to be very little water. It is not a case of someone "missing" the bowl, but appears to be a leakage problem. I followed the correct steps when replacing the seal, but now I'm just confused, and a little disgusted. Thanks,

Mark
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Do you have a dog or cat? Other unknown critters?

Even if it leaked from the bowl during a flush, it would be significantly diluted.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I agree with JAD. The usual symptom of a leaky wax ring is a sewer gas odor, not a urine odor. The urine is considerably diluted through the bowl and during a flush.

I have been called several times for a symptom of urine on the floor. It has always turned out to be an elderly man, or a young boy, with careless aim.

Please let us know if you find something different causing this.
  4. Northrambo

Northrambo New Member

Well, I do have 2 dogs, but they are much too large to get in behind the toilet where the urine seems to be, that, and they are very well trained. There is no urine on any other part of the toilet to suggest that it's from a "miss". I'm 27, have very good aim, and so do my roommates. One of them is a woman, so I'm having my doubts about that one too. It is DEFINITELY urine though. Not a constant leak either, but definitely a constant smell. Very acrid and very strong. I find it collecting initially right around the back of the toilet where it meets the floor.
  5. jadnashua

Could just be the dog marking a spot...
  6. Northrambo

Northrambo New Member

As I said before, the dogs are much too large to creep around to the back of the toilet to deposit urine there. That cannot be the answer. It is intermittent though, as I have discovered, which is all the more confusing.

Mark
  7. hudson75

hudson75 New Member

try some food color in a bucket of water, pour it through should definitely point to or eliminate a leak.
  8. Northrambo

Northrambo New Member

That's one hell of an idea. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know what happens. Maybe my dogs ARE contortionists.

Mark
  9. jadnashua

Dogs can spray it too...quite aways. I wouldn't rule thatout. They can do some strange things once in awhile if they feel threatened, something changed (new member in the house, routine change), or there is a dominance thing going on - they mark territory.
  10. Deb

Deb Plumber

Deb

Even if the wax seal is leaking, it will not create the urine smell that you are encountering. As already mentioned, it is far too diluted to contain much odor at all. So whether it is probable or not, you are left with someone missing or the dogs (even well trained dogs mark their territory and it can travel a ways with a well lifted leg).
    I have been in places where the wood under the toilet has become permeated with urine smell (a combination of no caulk and someone with bad aim for a number of years). This smell is constant and you would have smelled it when you replaced the seal, so we are still left with someone with bad aim or the dogs....
    Deb
    The Pipewench
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

odor

A "properly installed" toilet would have a bead of caulking around its perimeter. If that were done then any urine or odor on the floor would have to come from elsewhere than the toilet. If that stops the problem, and stops it permanently rather than for a temporary lull, then remove the toilet and reset it with a new wax ring.
  12. Ron Barchet

Ron Barchet New Member

Pin Hole leak?

I ran into this problem and found a pinhole leak in the side of the bowl. This was a brand-new elongated toilet from Kohler. It was replaced without charge.
  13. snickerfritz

snickerfritz New Member

I have the Same problem!! HELP!!

:confused: We recently purchased a New house & have been experiencing the same problem in our upstairs bathroom. Have tried everything, even purchased a New toilet!! It's just absolutely horrible! There is urine around the base of the toilet & don't know how it's getting there. Just like the other member states, it's more toward the back of the toilet & on the sides where the toilet bolts to the floor. We've tried replacing the wax ring, then tried a rubber ring & nothing works! We have no animals in the house. The entire toliet can be dry, but around the base of the toilet there is always urine?!? It seems to seap up from underneath?!? Any help at all would be appreciated! Don't don't know what to try anymore.
    Thanks!
  14. Stu L.

Stu L. New Member

One time, after a night of extremely heavy binge drinking, I dreamed that I woke up in a train station with the lights all turned out, and it was pitch black. I felt my way around, and I had to piss so badly, I felt my way to a corner and peed there. It turns out that when I woke up, there was urine all over the wall and floor of my bathroom. Is it possible that someone in your house is sleepwalking in a bleary-eyed drunken stupor?
  15. :eek: LOL! Stu hit that right on the money. Whoever is using the toilet, is missing terribly and I don't care what or who you are to try to justify a response. I've seen this happen in many homes and the bottom line is a trail leading from the top to the bottom. Buy a urinal and the problem will go away. And just about every customer I address this issue to.......is in complete denial of wrongdoing. Funny @!(& I say! :) :D
  16. Cass

Cass Plumber

Agree with RUGGED. Someone is missing or the dogs. It only takes a dog about 5-10 seconds. You can eliminate the dogs if you can isolate them for a day or so. Eliminating a person is murder :) .
  17. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

urine

From where I sit, From my experience too, I think that Rugged is probably right......
  18. snickerfritz

snickerfritz New Member

I have the Same problem!! HELP!!

:confused: We recently purchased a New house & have been experiencing the same problem in our upstairs bathroom. Have tried everything, even purchased a New toilet!! It's just absolutely horrible! There is urine around the base of the toilet & don't know how it's getting there. Just like the other member states, it's more toward the back of the toilet & on the sides where the toilet bolts to the floor. We've tried replacing the wax ring, then tried a rubber ring & nothing works! We have no animals in the house. The entire toliet can be dry, but around the base of the toilet there is always urine?!? It seems to seap up from underneath?!? Any help at all would be appreciated! Don't don't know what to try anymore.
    Thanks!
  19. snickerfritz

snickerfritz New Member

Nope that's not it....no one is missing :)
  20. snickerfritz

snickerfritz New Member

Nope that's not it... :confused: