Urinal, residential: Looking for advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Dan P

Reaction score
In a new home being built I have persuaded my spouse to let me put a urinal into our master bathroom. Good for me and my grandson! I want to avoid one of the very small opening architectural models, which could be ideally located for a particular height, but not for little grandson and grandpa. Looking at Crane, Sloan, Toto. Figured 0.5 gpf models would be good.

Looking for recommendations or reports from experience regarding models, and flushing mechanisms: automatic, sensor, manual, top spud, back spud. etc.
My spouse may have given permission, but I am certain she cares about appearance as well.

Thanks,

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
In a new home being built I have persuaded my spouse to let me put a urinal into our master bathroom. Good for me and my grandson! I want to avoid one of the very small opening architectural models, which could be ideally located for a particular height, but not for little grandson and grandpa. Looking at Crane, Sloan, Toto. Figured 0.5 gpf models would be good.

Looking for recommendations or reports from experience regarding models, and flushing mechanisms: automatic, sensor, manual, top spud, back spud. etc.
My spouse may have given permission, but I am certain she cares about appearance as well.

Thanks,
I would no do it. A good automatic flush valve like sloan goes for about $400 in Canada plus urinal about $200 plus other say about $1000 everything in and the question of height. The rough in for an adult is not the same as a child. If you go to a grade school bathroom you will see what i mean.

Dan P

Reaction score
I would no do it. A good automatic flush valve like sloan goes for about $400 in Canada plus urinal about $200 plus other say about $1000 everything in and the question of height. The rough in for an adult is not the same as a child. If you go to a grade school bathroom you will see what i mean.

Thanks for your reply, Bill. I know there are long enough urinals to fit 3 year old to 30 or 60 year old. In the States, ADA requirements are low enough to the ground that a child could use it, but some models extend 24" (60 cm up north!). The expense is higher, unless you get a manual flush.

Asktom

Reaction score
I don't know your wife, obviously, but, in spite of permission, it might be smart to tell her you decided to forget the urinal and will take her out to dinner instead.

Dan P

Reaction score
I don't know your wife, obviously, but, in spite of permission, it might be smart to tell her you decided to forget the urinal and will take her out to dinner instead.

I don't know! The way I see it, better for the ladies to have to look at a urinal, than for us guys to pee on their toilet seats!

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
All jokes aside, it's not such a great idea. Why? because kids grow fast and your grandson will ask you before too long: "you put this one for me?"

What's good for commercial buildings is not always good for residential.

And if you pee on the seat, raise it next time.

DaveHo

Reaction score
I think a urinal would look very out of place & not cost effective in a residential setting, but hey, you're footing the bill.

Asktom

Reaction score
My dear old Ma, bless her heart, still gets tense and sharp talking about Dad considering a urinal when they built their house in 1948. You don't want to go there, believe me.

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
One of the homes listed on an HGTV show (Property Brothers, perhaps) had a urinal in the master bathroom; the real estate agents flagged that as one of the oddball things that often kills a sale.

Asktom

Reaction score
The down side is greater than the up side. I reserve the right to say I told you so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks