Urinal drain rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice from anyone more knowledgable than myself. Im removing an existing the urinal, and altering the drain in the wall so that back to back urinals can be installed. All my work is residential, so I haven't done an awful lot of commercial installation.

The stack inside the wall is 2 inch copper, and I have a couple of questions regarding the drain stub out and the clean out. The sanitary tee inside the wall will obviously be copper sweat. Would it be best to solder the copper drain and 2" MIP into the tee, or solder a FIP into the tee and leave a galvanized nipple sticking out the wall? My issue with the first option is that the guys doing the wall aren't exactly sure if they are tiling it, nor are they sure of the width of the tiles. Im worried that my MIP could end up being too far outside the wall, or too far inside. If I used the galvanized nipple, then I can leave any length of nipple in the wall and finish it after the wall is done.

Another question I have is about the clean out. I'll be installing it in the vent about the sanitary tee. Would I just 'wye' off to the side and install the clean out plug.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU want a brass or galvanized nipple into a threaded tee, but you also have to make sure the tee is far enough back so you have room for the nipple. You have not indicated HOW you will pipe the back to back urinals, but you CANNOT use a sanitary cross, even if it were allowed, because they do not make a tapped version.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
YOU want a brass or galvanized nipple into a threaded tee, but you also have to make sure the tee is far enough back so you have room for the nipple. You have not indicated HOW you will pipe the back to back urinals, but you CANNOT use a sanitary cross, even if it were allowed, because they do not make a tapped version.

Thanks for the reply. The issue you mentioned was my exact concern. I will be using a double sanitary tee-wye to connect the back to back urinals. This is permitted providing there is a clean out installed above the tee-wye, and the trap arm is not less than (2 x Diameter of pipe) 4 inch.

I wasn't sure if there was a tee-wye available which is 2 inch copper sweat on the top and bottom outlets, and 2 inch FIP on the trap arm outlets? If not, then I would have to use a regular copper sweat tee-wye, and solder fit-in FIP's into the trap arm outlets. Im not worried about having room for the nipples, as the wall is very thick.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks