Urgently need help with leaking basement

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave3

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im sorry if this is not the right section to post this but wasnt sure where to put it. My wife and I bought this house in the spring and havent had any problems up untill the other day, we had a fair bit of snow and in the span of 1-2 days it all melted because it got really warm and to top it all off its been raining. Now there is water seeping into the basement and the whole house stinks of mold, I'm really not sure what to do, all I can think is that maybe a sump pump would fix the problem but I dont know much about it - problem is I dont have the money to pay someone 1000+ to install it so I'll have to do it myself but before I do I need to be sure that this is the right course of action.

As you can see by the photos the water is coming in on the one wall, on the other side of that wall is a dirt crawl space that the rest of the house sits on, I dont know if the water is just comming in through that one spot on the wall or of its seeping in all along it, one of the photos shows a few spots on the floor where it looks like water is trying to make its way up through which is why I thought a sump pump might work.

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
P1030394s.jpgP1030395s.jpgP1030397s.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would start out in the yard, making sure all of the downspouts are piped to get the water coming off the roof at least 10' away and downhill from the foundation. When the ground is frozen and saturated, it is going to come in wherever it can.

If it is groundwater, it is clean and it will not hurt the concrete. Plug leaking cracks with hydraulic cement. Keep everything off the floor. Run fans and a dehumidifier to help dry the area. If the water is coming from underneath, a sump pump will help, but taking care of the exterior grading and runoff should come first.

Rap

Reaction score
You have cracks in the floor slab and water can be seen seeping through. Seal the cracks as the other guy said.

Do you have guttering - to my mind, a necessity in a freeze zone, esp. if you have a basement. Gutter down pipes should lead to falls, away to a sump. Grade around the house should fall away.

Perhaps the floor drain was installed because of these damp difficulties, there has been work on the slab adjacent to the drain which could indicate a retrofit drain. Find out where your floor drain leads to. Is it trapped and wet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks