URGENT: I have 2 ?'s about adjusting a 40/60 pressure switch

Users who are viewing this thread

alexp

Reaction score
I have a Well-X-Troll air tank and the factory setting is at 30 psi. I was given a new square D 40/60 pressure switch to use by the dealer where I bought my new Goulds well pump and motor. After replacing the pump and motor, I also replaced and updated the wire to 3 wire instead of the 2 wire it originally had because it was bad, 200 ft of it from the well pump to the pressure switch. I am hearing some chatter now. What should the tank pressure be now? And, what should the cut on/off be now?

Any help would be great!! :)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Chatter usually happens when the pressure switch is too far away from the pressure tank. The 40/60 switch with only 30 PSI air in the tank should not hurt anything or cause a chatter but, 38 PSI air would be more precise with a 40/60 switch.

alexp

Reaction score
what about the cut on and off? if the pressure should be at 38 psi.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
The cut-on/cut-off is 40/60 psi if that is what the factory setting is on the pressure switch. A 20 psi differential is standard.
You can adjust it usually by turning the adjusting nut(s) on the pressure switch clockwise to increase pressure or counter-clockwise to decrease pressure.
Whatever it is set at, the pressure tank should be about two psi below the cut-on. That's why valveman told you that 38 psi should be the pressure of the pressure tank witha 40-60 switch.
To check the pressure of the tank, the pump should be off and the water pressure drained down. Check the tank air pressure with a tire gauge. If it is too high, bleed a little air pressure off. If it is too low, add air with a bicycle pump or portable tank or compressor.
Good Luck!
Mike

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The bladder should be charged to 38 psi only if the switch is set to 40/60.

The factory pre-charge of 30 psi is simply so the tank is immediately useable without permitting rapid cycling in a typical setup even though its pressure still needs to be adjusted to match the switch's cut-in setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks