Upstairs toilet leak when flushed help. please

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by hoosays, Nov 28, 2004.

1. hoosays

hoosays New Member

This just started yesterday, before that everything was fine. Now everytime I flush my upstairs toilet, I get a large leak through into my downstairs bathroom. It stops after about 2 minutes, but if I flush again it begins again. I really don't want to rip out all the sheetrock downstairs to get to the drain pipe. Could it just be the wax seal? Could I be so lucky? I don't even know where to begin with this. please help.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes, it could just be the wax seal. Note, though, that wax seals don't usually fail for no reason. Does the toilet move at all? If it does, then the seal is probably failed. Also, if it moves, you must shim it so thatit doesn't move, or the new ring will fail, too.

Check that and get back to us.
  3. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Tank to Bowl

Also check you tank to bowl gasket and make sure the water is not coming from ontop of the floor. If not you will need to pull the toilet and look.