Upstairs bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

tee

Reaction score
I have recently moved in to my home and it needs a few updates.The tiles on the bathroom walls are coming loose and I want to remove them. What is the best way to do that without or very little damage to the wall itself? I also have some god awful wallpaper that needs to come down and all its doing is shredding right now and I am having a heck of a time with it. What is a solution to this problem? If anyone has any suggestion I would be very greatful. :confused:

Last edited:

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
just plain old water and a sponge or rag - wash the wallpaper, let it sit while you wash another area, then go back to it with a scraper. It will come off like... wet soft wallpaper!
I'm not sure about the tile question, if it was the tub/shower surround I would personally replace the board (since you have the opportunity). If it's tile backsplash for the counter or something similiar, I think you could keep the board, you just need to get the surface prepped properly... tiling ain't my department!

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
The best way to remove tiles is to take out the wall down to the studs then put up new drywall. Otherwise, you'd chisel off the tiles and be left with a wall full of hardened thinset (or worse, mud and screen). Why don't you just clean the grout lines and replace the tiles that are loose? Taking down wallpaper is doable but one of the messiest jobs out there. Have a room size tarp handy. The top layer needs to be peeled off first on some wallpapers. Buy a scoring tool and some glue dissolver. The scoring tool makes perforations in the paper and allows the enzymatic glue dissolver to do its job. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a warm water solution of DIF. Apply the solution with a paint roller on a long handle. Have a plastic scraper to assist you when the paper begins to lift freely from the wall. Do not gouge the wall. Getting the paper off the wall is only the first step. This is where most DIY'ers mess up. YOU MUST REMOVE THE GLUE. Paint will not adhere to the glue. The water in latex paint causes it to re-dissolve and makes adhesion impossible. I usually re-apply the DIF solution then remove the glue with a sponge mop. (One with all plastic construction so as not to damage the wall.) Have another 5 gallon bucket of clean, rinse water and go over the wall till no glue remains. Pay special attention to the corners, as that is where the paint seems to lift. after everything dries, prime the wall with something like Kilz brand stain-blocker. The one that permits water clean-up. Good luck!

Joyann

Reaction score
wallpaper problem

Hi,
Yes, vinegar, lots and lots of hot water, the hotter the better, and a good
garden sprayer. Put down lots of plastic or painters cloths on the floor, and let the sprayer do the work. You can also use one of those paper tigers to make small holes throughout the paper to help the water seep in faster.
Keep spraying until everything in one section is saturated, then the old paper should start to pull down pretty easy. If not, the wall was not sized before papering, and you will have to do some scraping. Hope this helps.

Finnegan

Reaction score
After removing wall paper, use acrylic based primer on those walls. Latex primer will reactivate any glue residue and interfere with finish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks