upper floor laundry room requirements

Users who are viewing this thread

aws

Reaction score
We are completing a remodel and are installing a laundry room on the second floor. We have already purchased the Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and steam dryer. The floor was supposed to be tile but when the new wood floor was laced into the old they did it in the area that became the laundry room. Custom cabinets were already built but both the architect and the cabinet maker forgot to account for the flood/drain pan that is supposed to go under both machines. We currently have a different type of plastic pan sitting on the wood floor under each machine and attached to a drain. However the pans are several inches larger than the base of the machines and don't fit with the cabinets. Several options were recommended - fabricating two metal pans or removing the machines and tiling under them. If we get metal pans fabricated, what is the recommended size of pan relative to the machines? Do they have to be 1" larger all the way around? How high of a lip is needed? Would putting tile in part of the room and having a floor drain work or is a lip needed in front of the machines? Which solution is the most likely to protect us in case of a leak.

Are there other options for drainage in the case of a leak?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pans provide very little protection in case of a major leak, such as a hose failure, a drain fitting failure inside the machine, or a drain overflow.

Wood floor...not a good idea. A pan with lip makes it very awkward to even install the machines.

The only way I would have a laundry on second floor is with a fully water proof floor, sloped to a floor drain. remember that the floor drain will require a trap primer.

If I was building a house, I would have laundry downstairs and a laundry shute from upstairs. Maybe even a dumbwaiter to send the clean clothes back up!
  • flood_2.jpg

Wall to wall carpet under water.

Ruptured washer hoses flooded this basement. Before the slider was opened, there was 3" of standing water. Here's a view of the carpet under all the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks