Uponor PEX with non-ProPEX fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrud

DIY'er
Reaction score
For my project I've been using Uponor PEX pipe with ProPEX fittings and the Milwaukee expansion tool.

Is it safe/acceptable for me to use non-ProPEX fittings with the Uponor PEX pipe?

Many Thanks

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
As I understand it, crimp ring fittings and sharkbites are ok. You shouldn't use the expansion tool on lesser grades of PEX.

Kim Bliss

Reaction score
It is not recommended to use non-ProPEX fittings with Uponor PEX pipe. For one, you lose the 25-year warranty on the pipe and fittings. For two, PEX-a pipe is manufactured to have shape memory, which means if you use a crimp, clamp or shark bite fitting that compresses down against the pipe, the pipe will constantly be pushing back away from the connection. Since the ProPEX fitting requires the pipe to be expanded and the fitting to be inserted into the expanded pipe, as the pipe shrinks back down, it is constantly getting tighter around the fitting to hold strong. The ProPEX fitting is the only PEX connection system that gets stronger over time. Crimp, clamp and shark bite are always going to be working against the shape memory of the PEX pipe.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, the propex pipe would eventually exert enough pressure against a crimp ring to uncrimp it and cause leakage? Hope not. I'll have to leave town in a hurry if that's the case. Also, I can't picture how the propex memory affects a shark bite. Always willing to learn.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All versions of pex have a memory, it's just that type-A has more because of the way it is made. It is also the only version that can recover from a kink without having to cut it out and install a fitting. A properly made compression or Sharkbite connection should work but you're wasting some of the benefits of choosing pex-A...they all reduce the ID of the pipe - some more than others.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes my choice of pipe is not based on anything more than what's handy when I'm headed out the basement door in the morning. If Propex is overkill for some little project it's ok. Got bunches of it left over from repipes.
I don't mix them up. Home Depot pipe on the right side, Propex on the left side of the basement.

Gustave

Reaction score
Merry Christmas.
This is an old thread, but pertains to my question. I am about to plumb house with Uponor Propex. I am trying to use Uponor fittings also. But sometimes they do not have exactly what I need.
Can I use a crimp fitting instead, but with the traditional expansion installation and ring. Just change the fitting, not the attachment method in other words.
I notice that the barb configuration is different on ProPex vs. crimp.

Thanks
Gustave

Reach4

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but pertains to my question. I am about to plumb house with Uponor Propex. I am trying to use Uponor fittings also. But sometimes they do not have exactly what I need.
Can I use a crimp fitting instead, but with the traditional expansion installation and ring. Just change the fitting, not the attachment method in other words.
No.

To use the F1807 or F2159 fittings, you need to use the compression ring or the stainless steel clamp, with the associated tools.

What fitting did you need?

Last edited:

Lightningwill

Reaction score
Merry Christmas.
I notice that the barb configuration is different on ProPex vs. crimp.

Thanks
Gustave
Do. Not. Do. This.

A crimp fitting will fit inside PEX-a before expansion, but will not appropriately seal with an expansion ring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a fundamental difference in how an expansion fitting and a compression fitting work with pex. The crimp rings compress the pex to a fitting that can slide into the unexpanded pex tubing. You cannot insert an expansion fitting into pex tubing unless you've expanded it first. The memory of the pex collapsing back smaller is what locks that fitting in place. Pex-a is the only version that has enough elasticity and memory to collapse enough after it is expanded. The other versions do not have as complete cross-linking of the molecules, and will not have enough 'force' when collapsing to make a good seal if you tried to expand it. Creating those cross-links costs a bit more in the manufacturing process, so pex-a tends to cost a bit more than the other types. But, using it as designed means less dynamic pressure loss as the restriction is less.

You can use a crimp ring and fitting on pex-a, but you'll be introducing more restriction than needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks