Uponor PEX connector?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jerome7, May 13, 2013.

1. jerome7

jerome7 New Member

Hi all,

Could you please tell me what kind of connector is pictures? Is this PEX?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Looks to me to be a transition fitting. It's first soldered to the copper, then you attach the pex. The plastic pipe should have some markings on it to identify the maker and the type. They're usually repeated all along the entire length of the roll of tubing. It might be Wirsbo/Uphonor, as that's not a crimp connection (Wirsbo/Uphonor use an expansion system with a reinforcing ring). I don't deal with the stuff enough to be sure, though.
  3. jerome7

jerome7 New Member

Yep. I was curious about that ring that keeps the plastic tube securely tighten to the copper. I haven never seen this kind before.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Pex tubing has 'memory'. There are basically three ways to make a pex connection: a compression fitting like a Sharkbite or one that uses a compression ring and a nut; a barbed fitting and a crimp ring; an expansion system that uses a (larger diameter barb) where the tubing is expanded with a tool, slipped over the barb, then left to collapse back onto the barbs to make the connection. They add the compression ring on top of the tubing to force it to have more force when it collapses (they are both expanded with the tool prior to sliding it over the fitting). I'm still not sure exactly what you have - it could be one of the first types where you just push the tubing into the fitting (those often have an o-ring to make the seal, then something to grip or hold the tubing in place).
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

That is Uponor PEX, (previously Wirsbo) It's the brand that I use.

It uses an expansion tool.