Upgrading Honeywell Thermostat

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by TheOak, Oct 20, 2008.

1. TheOak

TheOak New Member

I have a Honeywell 8401C1007.

The installation manual can be found here.

When I pull the unit off of the wall, I have the following wires from top to bottom:

W white
    Y yellow
    G green
    R red
    C this wire is actually blue

I would like to upgrade to the Honeywell touch screen 8110U.

The installation manual can be found here.

On page 4 of the PDF I assume I would wire it using the 1H/1C System (1 Transformer) where I would keep the jumper installed.

The installer setup begins on page 6. I think it is pretty intuitive expect for on page 7.

What is "Change over valve (O/B terminal)"? The default is O/B terminal control valves in cooling. The other setting is the same but in heating.

Any recommendations on how I would set this up?

Thanks ...
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What kind of heating/cooling do you have? Conventional or a heat pump?
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The changeover ( reversing ) valve is a component of a Heat Pump system, which apparently you do not have. Depending on what brand of heat pump, you have to energize the reversing valve in either cool mode or heat mode. Older thermostats had a B (blue) terminal, or an O (orange) or both. Electronic stats like yours take care of this in set-up so don't need two terminals.

You do not have a heat pump, so this is N/A for you.

The C terminal, if used on your old model, was a power lead for the stat. Your new one has the option of being powered solely by the xfmr, using that C wire. The batteries back up the program. If you didn't have that wire, then the stat is powered by the batteries and will stop working if the batteries die.
  4. TheOak

TheOak New Member

I have a natural gas furnace and electric A/C. Both are controlled with my current thermostat by setting it to cool or heat accordingly. The furnace sits in my garage. The A/C sits outside. The two are "combined" or integrated with a "blower"(? not sure if that is the technical name).

Edit:

I do not have a heat pump. The furnace is a Lennox system installed in 99. I believe it is rated as 80% efficient.

The A/C unit is Lennox too. Not sure on the SEER rating.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. tedfrk

tedfrk New Member

First wire it with white wire to W,Green To G,yellow to Y,red to R and Rc jumped together,and now blue to c .make sure you have an 80% furnace.do you have metal pipe as the flue or white pvc?if its pvc its a 90%.and set up the t-stat accordingly if you dont it wont work correctly.and dont worry about the other terminals on the t-stat.
  6. TheOak

TheOak New Member

I have metal.

On page 8 of the manual, for setting 240, "First Stage Heat Cycle Rate", there is a setting of "5" for "Gas or oil furnaces of less than 90% efficiency". I assume then I would naturally select 5.

Thanks for the wiring details. That is what I planned to do. Perfect!
  7. tedfrk

tedfrk New Member

yes set it up for number 5
  8. TheOak

TheOak New Member

Thanks for all of your help!
  9. tedfrk

tedfrk New Member

and dont forget to shut your emergency switch off before you begin so you dont cause more problems.
  10. TheOak

TheOak New Member

Totally, I plan on turning the power off to the a/c/furnace prior.
  11. TheOak

TheOak New Member

Could I:

1. Insert batteries into thermostat.
    2. Setup thermostat.
    3. Turn off power to furnace.
    4. Install wires to new thermostat base.
    5. Install thermostat to base.

So basically my question is for the initial setup does it need to be connected to the furnace, or can I do the "armchair" feature, set up the thermostat first, and then once all the wires are hooked up mount the thermostat to its base and away it goes?

Make sense?

Thanks ...
  12. tedfrk

tedfrk New Member

you can do whatever you want to the t-stat before you install it.just dont forget to turn the emergency switch off..and if you have enough wire cut off the existing wire that was stripped so you dont have any problems with them breaking if someone stripped them wrong.
  13. TheOak

TheOak New Member

What do you mean by "emergency" switch? Do you mean the circuit breaker? Please expand ... thanks ...

Edit:

Nevermind ... figured it out ... thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  14. TheOak

TheOak New Member

Just did the swap.

Pretty painless ...

It was a little quirky to program sometimes. For example, for 6 days of the week I only had 2 modes, a wake and a night. However, for one day only I had a wake, leave, return, and night. Sometimes in setting the just the 2 modes common for all the days, the 2 would get wiped out on the one day. Real easy to program otherwise ...