Upflush system problem

Users who are viewing this thread

metaldoggie

Reaction score
Hi

I have an upflush system in my basement.

The toilet sits on subfloor which houses the tank and the pump sits behind.

We had a large leak before Xmas probably due to the pipes getting blocked and water coming back up and leaking around the base of the toilet.

The original flange was rusted and the top of the tank around the hole is warped.

I put a spacer on top along with a 1" thick plastic ring on the inside, bolted it together and glued it all with gorilla glue.

Then a plastic flange on top with a ton of silicone all around the whole assembly.

I had tested this by filling the tank with water with the system unplugged and it didn't leak anywhere around the flange.

Now I have a waxless seal that sits inside the flange on the bottom of the toilet.

I did the test again and now it leaks!!

I suspect it could be my glue joint failing somewhere after all my work redoing the floor!!!

Firstly is there a better way of sealing the flange so it wont leak?
Secondly, is the reason the water wont go up into the toilet bowl because of an airlock?

Am I wasting my time?
Is this system one that can never be sealed so it will always leak from the base of the toilet if the pipe clogs again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
2" or 3" vent?

too many questions. I understand your frustration.

here are a few more Q's for you:
- did you install this originally? Which manufacturer, which product?
- is venting 2" or 3" ?

i know one upflush system manufacturer requires the vent to be 3".

david

metaldoggie

Reaction score
Upflush

Unfortunately I don't know the manufacturer.

I moved into the house last year and the first I knew about an upflush system was when the toilet leaked all over the downstairs floor. The closest I can find on the internet that looks like it is the quickjon system.....but it looks more basic....almost home made!!

What I have learned about it is basically what I could get from the internet and by looking at the whole system and reverse engineering it.

As for the venting.....I have no clue - this really is my first venture into plumbing.

I talked to the plumber at the plant I work at.....he said i wont ever get a good seal as it is the weakest point of the system. As long as the pump is working and the pipe behind isnt clogged it should be fine.

I was thinking of putting a water alarm behind the toilet as this is were the water goes when it leaks.

As far as I can tell the system is working fine it just clogged in the pipe after the pump that one time.

Last edited:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
go up into the attic

no kidding, go and see what vents you have and what size they are.

Air is not compressible, air does not expand either. (Unless pressurized). When big water needs to go down a drain, air is displaced -- or not, and this is what makes drains work well or badly.

Apart from venting, you haven't told us about the pump, the motor, when it turns on, whether it is working completely, triggering after one or two or three flushes, etc. Study the pump too.

Have you considered contacting the builder and the previous owners for information?

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks