Updating shower in basement

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by 87GNat, Jan 9, 2010.

1. 87GNat

87GNat New Member

I removed my tile shower from my basement and will be installing a two piece Lasco unit. The existing drain is the lead type. After speaking with someone from Home Depot he said my only option for a new drain is to bust out the concrete around the exisiting drain, cut it off and attach a fernco fitting and then add a 2" PVC to the other end of the fitting. Is this my only option?
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

The new strainer should come with a rubber donut to make your connection to the plastic pipe. You may have to adjust the length of the existing pipe. Do not use a fernco coupling to do this use a PVC coupling even if it requires you to chip away some concrete.

John
  3. 87GNat

87GNat New Member

Thanks John,
    This is the new drain I bought, so if I buy a 2"PVC Coupling will that fit to the existing drain do I need some sort of sealant?

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      86.2 KB
      Views:
  4. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

The donut will not fit over the coupling. If the pipe is to short you will have to chip up the concrete and put the coupling below the floor. With the shower and strainer in place the pipe should end up about 1/4" below the top of the strainer.

John
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What material is the riser pipe coming out of the slab made of? That will somewhat dictate what you have to do. It doesn't look like PVC. It could be lead or cast iron. If either of those, you'll have to crack some concrete to convert things. It may give you an opportunity to check the integrity of the trap, which may need to be replaced as well depending on what the material is and how deep it is.