Unusual Shower Leakage

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by SRinCT, Jul 10, 2008.

1. SRinCT

SRinCT New Member

Hi. I live in a 42 year old home, and we have a shower which leaks 2-3 ounces in the middle. Whenever someone takes a shower longer than 5 minutes, a small puddle appears on the floor about the length of the shower. There is no trail of water running from either end, from the top, etc. We have had the shower re-caulked and put in a new shower head/temp controller. We've been in the home about 4 years, and this has been going on for about 6 months.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Stacie
  2. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I'm confused -- Surely you're not saying that when someone takes a long shower, the shower floor gets wet, so exactly where is this puddle?
  3. SRinCT

SRinCT New Member

Re:

No, the bathroom floor next to the shower gets wet.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First, caulking is NOT the primary waterproofing means in a shower, the shower pan liner is. Sounds to me like the liner is shot....time to rebuild. I suggest you look at www.johnbridge.com for some help. The water you can see may be the tip of the iceburg...there could be all sorts of rot underneath there, so be prepared for rebuilding some subflooring.
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

What's underneath this bathroom? If you can gain access to the underside of the floor and have a look at it, I don't think you're going to like what you see. If there's a finished ceiling under there, you'd better follow Jim's guidance sooner rather than later.